Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mairs and Power Small Cap (MSCFX)

edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
I'm thinking that I might add considerably to this fund. It seems to be particularly well run. Any thoughts out there? 2013 may be better than expected.

Comments

• The fund has had a strong first year. I would want to know how the manager handled a period of market selloff and high volatility before I "added considerably" to it. M&P has a good overall record, but you are buying a manager, not a fund company. His record at US Bank (now Nuveen Small Cap Select) prior to moving to M&P, (he ran the Nuveen fund from mid 2004 to early 2007) was OK. His time there was in a period of mostly continuously-rising markets. And he had some sizeable distributions, too. That has not been M&Ps hallmark, however. They may have him be more tax efficient with the new fund.
  • I've owned MSCFX (Mairs & Power Small-cap) since 09 April, '12. It's up for me by +22.1892% as of last Friday. Consider the run-up in your decision to get in. It is still a very young fund, so in one sense, the sky is the limit. And you don't need to be told, but don't chase hot returns.

Here's a link to a newspaper article. It's a .pdf.
    http://www.mairsandpower.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153:category-kings&catid=46&Itemid=72
  • I like (and own) MAPOX, too, from the same M & P fund house.