Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any alternatives to Marsico Flexible Capital Fund?

BWG
edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
Marsico Flexible Capital Fund (MFCFX) is unique in terms of being large growth oriented but with the ability to go defensive. A lot of people left the fund when Doug Rao left. I am curious if anyone has identified a good substitute for it? One option is LSWWX but I haven't come across any others. I'm also curious if anyone has ventured back into MFCFX? It is puzzling that, even when Rao was on the fund, the fund was unable to gather a lot of assets in spite of performing well.

Thanks in advance,

BWG

Comments

• I think the fund assets did not increase much even under Doug Rao as investors lost trust in Marsico, the firm. I did not leave the fund after he left, as I wanted to see how it would perform under the new mgrs before looking elsewhere . I think it is doing alright so far.
  • I invested in this fund for a while when the ER was capped at 0.75%. When they jacked up the ER to close to double, I left.

It did not perform well in 2011. 2012 was much better.
  • Wanted correct my post. I sold it to the minimum after Doug left. I just have the minimum investment in it now.
  • We sold our position in HAFLX on the day after learning that it would be liquidated. I have been tracking MFCFX (ER 1.43%) since the new managers took over on 7/20/12. If I were to re-enter this fund, I would buy the lower cost CCMZX (ER 1.25%), which is available at Scottrade for a $100 minimum in taxable and retirement accounts with no TF.

We own PVSYX which may also invest across a company's capital structure like MFCFX, although it targets leveraged companies. PVSYX is multicap with a much lower average market cap than the LCG MFCFX. So PVSYX is not a direct substitute for MFCFX.

Kevin
  • beebee
    edited January 2013
    Skeeter has mentioned COTZX (ER .9) (Columbia Thermostat Z Fund) which has performed well over different time frames.

Three NTF funds that seems to have great 10 year performance are VLAAX (ER 1.24), BUFBX (ER 1.01) and PRWCX (ER .71). Here they are charted with Kevindow Marisco choice, CCMZX (2 year existence), as well as the orginal MFCFX (same fund as CCMZX, but in existence for the full 10 year time frame).

As you can see, MFCFX's out performance (compared to these other choices) seems to have occurred mostly during the 2009-2011 time frame. Good Luck...Good management...or a little bit of both.

image"> image
  • It's not clear whether you're looking for a fund like what MFCFX's prospectus allows (wide ranging such as LSWWX or other world allocation funds), or a fund similar to how Rao ran the fund (largely domestic equity). Rao's fund was neither global in scope nor balanced in allocation. Though initially he did follow at least the latter: M* considered the fund a domestic balanced - moderate allocation - fund through 2008.

I mention this not to knock the fund (it was one I was at least keeping an eye on, but the expectation of the ER doubling was enough to keep me away). Rather, I point this out to gain some insight into his defensive performance. In 2008, the fund still lost 34% - a bit better than the S&P and LCG, but much worse than moderate allocation funds. True he went to cash (over 20%, per M*), but no bonds (79.51% in equities as of 9/30/2008, per annual report), which might have helped defensively even better. (Barclays US Aggregate Bond Total Return index returned 5.24% in 2008; on a quarterly basis, the index lost 1.02% in Q2, 0.49% in Q3, but came roaring back at 4.58% in Q4 - all data from M*).

So while the fund fared somewhat better than average in 2008, it was nothing spectacular. And in the only subsequent year when LCG funds lost money (2011), the fund underperformed. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not at this 1000 ft level, but I don't see a fund that excels at playing defense.

All of which goes to explain why I did a quick search for world allocation funds with over 10% in cash (for comparison, MFCFX is currently a tad under 20% as of last report), and a LCG portfolio. Call me crazy, but CRAZX (Columbia Risk Allocation, Z shares) popped up, as did American Century Global Allocation (AGAVX). These are both funds of funds, with a hefty dose of alternative investments (Columbia Commodity Strategy (CCIYX) for the former, and real estate (ARYNX), commodities (GSG), a variety of gold funds and ETFs, etc. for the latter.

The former is just a half year old with just $13M in assets (as of 12/31), and an ER of 0.82 after including a fee waiver of 0.70%, in effect until 9/30/2014. Don't know much about its managers beyond apparently getting moved around quite a bit.

The latter is a year old, with an ER of 1.25% after including an interesting fee waiver - "expected to remain in effect permanently and it cannot be terminated without approval of the Board of Directors." The management team here also manages AC's target date funds, all of which have 5* ratings, except the Income fund (4*). FWIW.

Sight unseen (i.e. without looking more under the covers), if I had to choose between these, I'd take American Century. Respectable family (despite its affiliation with Lance Armstrong), not prone to gimmicks. Columbia, though it still has some respectable funds like the Wanger (Acorn) funds, seems to put out funds for marketing reasons, is largely a load family, was sold from BofA (bad) to Ameriprise (worse, IMHO).

Still, with no track records, each is a shot in the dark.
  • As I noted below, MFCFX was not a balanced/asset allocation fund in the 2009-2011 time frame. M* had already moved it out of balanced into LCG by 2009, and even the Sept 2008 portfolio showed no bonds. So this may be somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison.
  • Ivy Asset (WASYX) as an alternative?
  • I have not sold any MFCFX since Rao left, but I am wary. Based on the discussions above and what I have observed while owning the fund for about four years, I'd say it's a growthy World Allocation fund. I agree that it has rarely had a significant bond allocation over that period of time.
  • Thanks for all your suggestions. I will look through the names carefully. I am looking for a large growth fund with some defensive capability -- e.g., world allocation funds like LSWWX or WASYX or a more US focused fund like MFCFX. I think MFCFX has done okay since Rao left but the E.R. is hard to stomach. My constraint is that I am limited to investing through Fidelity.

BWG
  • Evening BWG,
    You noted:
    "My constraint is that I am limited to investing through Fidelity."
    MFCFX is available via Fidelity, NTF. I don't understand the situation you noted.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Sorry about the lack of clarity. Yes MFCFX is available at Fidelity; However a number of others are not. My hesitancy re: MFCFX has more to do with the high ER and lingering concerns about the situation at Marsico and the departure of Rao. The performance of the fund since Rao's departure has been decent, but it is not clear whether it can repeat the outperformance it generated when Rao was in charge.
  • Might want to take a look at the Appleseed Fund APPLX / APPIX. I have been using this as a go-anywhere fund with a defensive bias. It lagged the S&P somewhat for most of 2012, but I expect it to perform better if we get more volatility in 2013 and forward.
  • edited January 2013
    -
  • There are too many good funds run by really good managers with lower expenses. I would look elsewhere.
  • BWG
    edited January 2013
    Apologies for the lack of clarity on my part -- when I said 'large growth fund with defensive capability," I was thinking of large growth funds with some defensive flexibility or aggressive world allocation funds (that have a global large growth orientation). WASYX and LSWWX are examples of the latter.

BWG