Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Changes in WAIOX and WAGOX (Wasatch funds) fund management

edited May 2011 in Fund Discussions
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/806633/000119312511149284/d497.htm

Wasatch Global Opportunities Fund (the “Fund”)

Effective June 30, 2011, Robert Gardiner and Blake Walker will no longer serve as Lead Portfolio Managers for the Fund and all references to them are deleted from the Prospectus.

Effective June 30, 2011, the section entitled “Portfolio Management-Portfolio Managers” on page 12 of the Prospectus is hereby deleted in its entirety and replaced with the following:

Roger D. Edgley, CFA
Lead Portfolio Manager
Since June 30, 2011

JB Taylor
Lead Portfolio Manager
Since June 30, 2011

Wasatch International Opportunities Fund (the “Fund”)

Effective June 30, 2011, Blake Walker will no longer serve as Lead Portfolio Manager for the Fund and all references relative to Mr. Walker’s service on the Fund are deleted from the Prospectus.

Effective immediately, the section entitled “Portfolio Management-Portfolio Managers” on page 21 of the Prospectus is hereby amended with the following:

Laura Geritz
Portfolio Manager
Since May 24, 2011

Comments

• Thank you for posting this, I own WAGOX(Wasatch Global Opportunities) in my Taxable account, The Good Manager leaving is happening to me second time when it happened with ICMAX(Intrepid Small Cap) when Eric Cinnamond left.

I have 67% in Royce Global and 33% in Wasatch Global on my Global Mid/Small fund allocation, I put money in multiple fund to limit impact if I ever need to sell a fund for any reason.

Taxable account makes it harder if you want to get out of a fund.

Based on the Wasatch, Roger Edgley and JB Taylor seems to be experienced Managers but this seem like temporary arrangement as they already manage 4 other funds.
  • edited May 2011
    Yes surprising. Walker was the co-manager on both Global and International funds and has been with Wasatch for 10 years.

Gardiner was a longterm veteran, 29 years there and helped to put up the good longterm returns of their Microcap fund before moving over to run the Global Opps fund.

To have both leave the same time is a big dent.
  • I also own WAIOX and WAGOX in taxable accts. I think Blake also runs a global fund at Fidelity. I typed his name into Google and saw something with Fido on it.
  • Wrong information above about Blake Walker being at Fidelity.
  • Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned recently in this forum about Janus Contrarian fund but here it is.....

Janus Capital Group Inc. (JNS), the Denver money manager struggling with client defections, will absorb the hedge fund founded by Dan Kozlowski as he returns to the company to lead an expansion in alternative investments.

Kozlowski, 39, who left Janus in 2008 to found Plaisance Capital LLC, will continue to run the Chicago-based hedge fund while replacing David Decker as manager of Janus Contrarian Fund (JSVAX), the firm said today in a statement. Decker, 45, is leaving June 30 to start an independent asset-management firm, according to the company.