Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Major changes to my portfolio, a work in process

edited February 2013 in Fund Discussions
Back in December i told MFO that due to an inherited portfolio, major changes were afoot. I thought I would report the changes I have made so far, with more to come, since I am still a bit heavy in cash. With these changes I am 47% stocks (including MLPS), 32% bonds (all munis) 17% cash and 4% gold. My goal is to go down to 12% cash and keep about 50/34 equity bond mix. I am 61 and hopefully will live many years:)

Here is what I sold: ELD, FNMIX, 50% of VDIGX, and sold stocks K, PAYX
Here is what I bought: IYW, AMLP, SMGIX, ODVYX, OYEIX, PRHSX and two energy sector stocks.
I kept ARTGX, FDGFX, FSPHX, FSCRX, VPCCX, DVY and all of my other stocks, about 12, and a few ETFs in real estate and emerging markets. I will be adding WAGTX shortly.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. This is an amazing group of people and thanks to David and his incredible staff, all of us continue to learn each and every day.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Others can speak more regarding the bond side, but I think it's an interesting, rather diverse group of funds. Fairly risky in some regards, but you know your risk tolerance. What % (approximately, doesn't have to be exact) of the stock side is made up of individual stocks?
  • On the stock side, right now about about 34% stocks, 13% mutual funds. The IRAS, where most of the stocks and stock funds are will not be needed to be tapped for 9-10 years The stock side does include some reit etfs, emerging market etfs, stock etfs. All the bonds are munis, and they are old enough to have a very nice fixed rate of between 4.25% - 5.00% fixed, first call date 2016, rated AA and above. I feel fairly confident they are secure. The stocks are all fortune 500 dividend paying stocks, with sector diversification. Of the stock side, about 2/3 is divided between large growth, blend and value, with about 20 % small and mid cap growth and value, 13% international. The plan is to slightly lower small cap, raise international to 15% and keep large cap about the same. Hope this gives you a better picture.
  • Added one more mutual fund, MAPOX. Been watching it for some time now, put it in my taxable portfolio.