Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG October 2019
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clement's Blog: Improving The Odds

FYI: WE HEAR ABOUT highflying stocks and hotshot money managers, and it’s easy to imagine the streets of lower Manhattan are paved with gold. But the truth is a tad more mundane.
Regards,
Ted
https://humbledollar.com/2019/10/improving-the-odds/

Comments

• MJG
    edited October 2019
    Hi Guys,

The historical data demonstrates that even market wizards, with all their time, resources, and experience, are challenged to beat the market, I conclude that I am likely to also fail in that objective. What do do?

One simple strategy is to construct a portfolio of low cost Index funds and go away. The going away is the challenge to that strategy given the pressures of daily news. The news is hard to ignore, but that’s the secret to success.

I mostly follow that strategy and only check my portfolio value only several times a year. I would probably do better if I cut down on that limited frequency. I fail in that regard. Every time I check, I make some modest adjustment. In general, those adjustments are losers. It’s hard to outwit the market in rhe long term.

Best Wishes