Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Medigap Plan F Will Soon End. Here’s How That Changes Retirees’ Costs.

FYI: The so-called Cadillac of Medicare-related insurance is being phased out at year’s end, shutting Medicare newcomers out of the plan that many retirees buy for peace of mind, and potentially boosting costs for those who remain or turn to another popular option.

People who turn 65 after 2019 won’t be allowed to pick Medigap supplement Plan F, the most popular supplemental plan that helps retirees cover medical costs that Medicare doesn’t pay. Retirees already in Plan F by year’s end will be allowed to stay. Almost 60% of the 14 million people who have Medicare supplement insurance are in Plan F, according to CSG Actuarial research.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.barrons.com/articles/medigap-plan-f-will-soon-end-heres-how-that-changes-retirees-costs-51571393701?mod=past_editions

Comments

• Sigh. All people born before 1955 (i.e. those who turn 65 before 2020) will be able to sign up for Plan F in any year, even if they're not current enrollees.

The article says that the only difference between Plans F and G is that in the latter, "People must pay Medicare’s deductible before insurance coverage kicks in each year." There's also another difference. In 2019, only Plan F offered a high deductible option. Going forward, only Plan G will have that option.

It says that Plan G will become more expensive as "the pool of people coming into the plan will start becoming less healthy than those who previously enrolled when financial advisors pointed them toward a bargain." Is it really suggesting that financial advisors have been committing malpractice by steering sick people away from the better bargain (Plan G)? The article said that Plan G was the better deal (independent of health) because the all in cost (premiums plus part B deductible) was less than Part F's.

What will happen is not so much that Plan G premiums will rise, but that Plan F premiums will. That's for two reasons. One is that its pool of people will get older (thus more costly to cover). This year, anyone age 65 or above (i.e. virtually all potential enrollees) can buy Plan F. Next year, you'll have to be 66 or better to buy Plan F. Then 67, 68, and eventually all the potential participants will die out.

Which leads to the second reason. The pool will grow smaller. The idea of insurance is that while you never know who will need care, you know with near certainty what the average cost will be. But as the pool shrinks, that certainty fades. Insurers have to prepare for an increasingly likely black swan event. That means rising premiums for Plan F.

Medical underwriting: If you live in a state like New York or Massachusetts, you can buy any Medigap policy at any time, no questions asked. Or if you live in a state like California, once a year you have the option of "downgrading" your policy. So you could easily switch from Plan F to Plan G some time in the future once Plan F's premiums starting rising quickly. It pays to know what the rules are for your personal situation.

https://www.medicareresources.org/states/
  • It pays to know what the rules are for your personal situation.
    Totally agree @msf. I go to the free Insurance workshops every year before enrolling just to make sure I'm informed on changes, options and costs. Going next week in fact.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but for now here in NY state the costs are very reasonable for the Medicare Advantage plans. Some are even no-cost (I guess that is extremely reasonable:) ).
  • It's not zero cost, but you might take a look at United Healthcare Choice 1. For the extra $16/mo, it provides preventive dental (new this year), and unlike most MA plans, that includes a wide network of dentists. Also new this year is that you don't need to notify UHC in advance ("Passport" service) if you're traveling domestically - you get automatic access to its national network.

https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/alphadms/ovdms10g/groups/ov/@ov/@highrespdf/documents/highrespdf/4611547.pdf

It has another plus: unlike other UHC plans, you're not paying for the AARP branding. (The UHC PPO plans, unlike the HMO plans, are not "endorsed" by AARP). UHC has its own "Renew Active" program rather than Silver Sneakers, which may be better or worse for you (or you may not care).

Downstate the PPO network was very narrow. But in 2020 UHC nearly quadrupled the regional size of the network (making it comparable to its HMO network). People I know are now looking at this plan, hence my familiarity with it.