Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SEE THE MOVIE!

There is a new WILD movie called The Launderette that is hilarious and SCARY. Trust me on this!!!

Comments

• Sure you mean The Laudromat, eh?

The original report released in 2016, I suspect; has been forgotten, if ever know by 99% of the world population.
    A broad overview of the topic is HERE.
  • edited October 2019
    From One Review: “The Laundromat is invariably going to draw comparisons to Adam McKay's Oscar-winning The Big Short, which took a similar approach to its handling of the 2008 housing crisis. Soderbergh looks to blend entertainment and eduction, employing a number of fourth-wall breaks and stylish sequences that explain various terms such as shell companies. While this ensures The Laundromat isn't a drag to watch (Oldman and Banderas in particular have a lot of fun hamming it up as sleazy lawyers), it perhaps isn't the most effective way of conveying the message Soderbergh is trying to deliver. At times, The Laundromat is almost guilty of trying too hard to be the next Big Short, which undercuts the anger and frustration the creative team feels about the topic at hand.” https://screenrant.com/laundromat-2019-movie-reviews/

My Thoughts: You can find both good and bad reviews of this movie. The one I linked sounds pretty much down the middle. Problem assessing a movie or any other creative effort is that we as consumers of the medium tend to value entirely different elements of the creative process (a reason for the mixed reviews). I suspect @Alex is recommending the film based on its depiction of the vast international underground money flows documented in The Panama Papers (2016) which @Catch22 referenced. I enjoyed The Big Short, but thought The Post (also featuring Meryl Streep) a better film artistically. This one? Might watch it someday. No hurry.
  • @hank
    The Post (among others) should be must watch with followup student discussion starting sometime in high school history class or other suitable study area.