Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard To Launch International Bond Index Fund And ETF

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I see that with this fund in place, now Vanguard is allocating 20% of bond allocation to this new International Bond Index fund in Target Date Funds.

Here is the M* article on this:

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=583860
  • Reply to @Investor: That should help to diversify bond allocation in these Target Date funds. Lowers volatility should be expected from the dollar-hedged. Also the ER ratios are very low comparing to actively managed developed market bond funds.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Sven: Two other change I note is that they decided to switch to low duration TIPS index fund from actively managed intermediate term one and they are dumping money market fund and allocate that portion to other bonds.
  • It is good to see Vanguard is improving their target dated funds. On a different note, I look forward that Vanguard will introduce the emerging-markets government-bond index fund in the near future.

Matthews Asia Strategic Income, MAINX, which is quite compelling. However, its ER is higher than their equity funds.
  • I think that is because of the assets gathered so far. Any fund in its incipient stage will change a very high fee unless the mgr is like Andre Foster of SFGIX, who reduced its expense ratio to a very competent level considering the economy of scale.

I think MAINX would reduce its cost as they accumulate assets. I hope it succeeds and consequently gather enough assets to reduce the exp ratio.