Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Health care/ sciences funds

edited February 2013 in Fund Discussions
I have recently attempted to purchase PRHSX, but was told it was not open to new investors. I looked at three ETF's and found FXH, RYH, and XLV. Can anyone offer their opinions on these funds? Thank you. Alex

Comments

• I cannot, but I would suggest expanding your search to HQH and HQL in the closed-end fund universe.
  • Alex: Who told you PRHSX was not open to new investors. PRHSX is open !!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @BenWP: I own HQL. I do also own one specific health care co, but I'll say this: I think I'm reasonably intelligent, but after researching health care companies (medicines in development, going through various statistics), I decided (for me) health care is a sector best left to those with some degree of background in it. I also like the private equity aspect of HQL (and HQH also offers that)

• msf
    edited February 2013
    Fidelity says it is closed.
    Schwab says it is closed.
    Wells Trade says, well, WT doesn't say much of anything these days, but that's another problem:-(

The fund is indeed open, according to T Rowe Price.

There may be some brokers where new accounts can be opened (sometimes funds restrict new accounts at some brokers but not at others). If not, one can usually open an account with the fund directly and transfer the account to a broker. (Occasionally the fund will prohibit transfers of an account within the first, say six months, to block this trick.)
  • Hi Alex.

Three lower volatility alternatives you might consider:

Vanguard Health Care Inv VGHCX
    BlackRock Health Sciences Opps Instl SHSSX
    PowerShares Dynamic Pharmaceuticals PJP
  • Reply to @scott: FYI:

HQL: YTD 8.90%--------------PRHSX: YTD 8.95%

Ten Year: 11.45%------------------ 15.33%

Expense Ratio:
    HQL 1.72%
    PRHSX .82%
  • As far as I know, the fund is closed from Brokers but is open if you directly buy from them. Many fund companies do this time to time to reduce the inflows into the fund. For example, OAKBX did in the past.

Either buy an alternative fund until PRHSX opens up again, or buy at Trow and transfer it later to your broker. In fact, I bought it and other Trow funds at Trow but moved to my broker after Trow funds become NTF there.
  • PRHSX is a great fund, but imho, buying it now at a trailing P/E of 23.3 is no bargain.
  • Reply to @AndyJ: 23.3 P/E ratio is not extremely high for a portfolio composed of many biotech stocks. Further, you don't take P/E ratio the bank. What you take to the bank is return on your investment. I have owned PRHSX for over ten years.
    Regards,
    Ted

YTD: 8.95%
    1yr. 26.86%
    3yr . 23.37%
    5yr. 13.13%
    10 Yrs. 15.33%
    15 Yrs. 11.88%
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Ted: If you've owned it for the past ten years, Ted, then you didn't pay the current price for it. It's on my buy list for the next correction, but not now.

Just another point of view, from a value/GARPy perspective ...
  • For exposure to small cap health care, take a look at PSCH, but this should be a small part of an otherwise diversified portfolio, I'm treating it in mine as I would a spec stock. Don't fall in love with it, keep your eye on it and trade it when you reach your target return .
  • I have SHSAX (load waived) in my 401k and it has done very well long term vs. PRHSX, although in the last 3-5 years it has lagged.
  • Reply to @Ted: I started DCAing into PRHSX in 2003 and it barely dropped below my original investment during the great recession. It came back like gangbusters so much so that I have used it's excess return to start other sleeves of TRP funds. IMHO DCAing into funds that have recently appreiccated can be a good way to go.

• Waiting for a correction to by VGHCX. I think Feb is DOWN !!!