Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This is now the best bull market ever

edited November 2019 in Fund Discussions
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/14/the-markets-10-year-run-became-the-best-bull-market-ever-this-month.html

This is now the best bull market ever

The current market boom, which started March 9, 2009, has enjoyed a whopping 468% gain for the S&P 500 through the first day of November, according to The Leuthold Group.
This record-long bull run also marks the best-performing one since World War II, the firm says.
“The most outstanding feature of this cycle since 2008 is always going to be fear,” says Jim Paulsen, chief investment strategist at The Leuthold Group.

Anyone selling/switched to safe equities/bonds yet?

Comments

• edited November 2019
    Hmmm. This does not add up. The two bulls of 1980-2000 delivered way higher return. c
  • I believe the bulls that started in 1974 and 1987 both delivered more than 800% to investors.
  • lived through all four, seriously invested; you'd think I'd be really rich!
  • edited November 2019
    johnN said:

“Anyone selling/switched to safe equities/bonds yet?”

That’s a provocative question.

A lot depends on your definition of “safe.” An investment isn’t really safe if fails to keep pace with inflation after taxes and investment expenses. And it’s not safe if it locks you out of potential buying opportunities (sometimes called “opportunity cost”). But, to answer your question, I’ve made no allocation changes the past 18 months. I did, however, move my REIT exposure to a more conservative fund that holds some REITS along with other investments.

Here’s a chart:

Source https://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation/Cumulative_Inflation_by_Decade.asp

I’d suggest that after all is said and done the “safest” investment (assuming that’s your game plan) is a broadly diversified portfolio of mutual funds, etfs or similar instruments having exposure to various types of equities, bonds, cash and alternative type investments. As one ages or has different needs and objectives, risk can be added or taken off the table. You can vary your risk by the types of bonds, stocks, funds you choose to hold and the relative % devoted to each. But a portfolio totally devoid of equities? - That’s like having Christmas without Santa.
  • edited November 2019
    I am selling / have sold a bit of DSEEX, PONAX, which are my pillars, also some PCI, then leaving those moneys in cash, and also PDVAX and FRIFX (which I'm really going to increase regardless, admiring its longterm steadiness).

If I am nervy I shall add to BIVRX, another thus far excellent MFO revelation (time to contribute again!). But that's just my greed operating.

If during these weeks of pondering and noodling the market dropped majorly, I would probably put everything spare asap into CAPE (using Fido, where is possible to do for free) and then, assuming fast recovery, sell without issue.