Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Markets brush off Pelosi's plan to impeach Trump

edited December 2019 in Off-Topic
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/markets-house-pelosi-impeachment-trump

Markets brush off Pelosi's plan to impeach Trump
The speaker delivered the historic announcement as Democrats push toward a vote, possibly by Christmas.

sorry if this article has political implications in anyways

just want to know if any folks changing strategies next few months

thankyou

Comments

• Xmas rally comin?!
  • edited December 2019
    @JohnN -

Thanks for posting several stories during Ted’s absence. We all miss his enormous contributions. However, please avoid one of his less admirable habits - that of self-bumping your own stories onto the Discussions+ portion of the forum. To wit: One’s commenting on his own submission does not a “discussion” make. Better to allow others to bump your post over.

My first reaction to the Fox headline you submitted is that it certainly smells like “click bait”. “Pelosi’s Impeachment Plan” sounds at once like both gross oversimplification and gross overstatement. (Leave it to Fox.)

My second reaction is that you’re skirting our (possibly unofficial) modus operandi here of avoiding the political morass into which the nation has stumbled. Lots of emotion and unsupported assertions coming fast and furious. Let’s leave it to the Facebooks and the CNNs to wade through. We are here to discuss money - serious money.

My third reaction is that the President has been busy strengthening our relations with our NATO allies in Europe while the muck flies here at home. Just the other day he attended a reception at British Prime Minister’s Boris Johnson’s residence #10 Downing Street, London:

“The PM avoided coming out of No10 to welcome Mr Trump to the reception for NATO leaders .,. Mr Trump and First Lady Melania waited patiently in the cold of Downing Street for several minutes, with the president ushering in French counterpart Emmanuel Macron and Italian PM Giuseppe Conte inside first.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7752431/Donald-Trump-arrives-Downing-Street-world-leaders-Nato-reception.html
  • She'd be an interesting person to talk to, one day. She's now the public face of a process that she tried hard to avoid. So far as I can tell, her plan - endorsed, curiously enough - by anti-Trump conservatives - was closer to "his electoral defeat by a thousand cuts." Steady pressure, a new scandal or investigation or something every week, but nothing so dramatic that it triggered a serious "circle the wagons" reaction. Events and her caucus pushed her where her political instincts told her not to go.

The effect on investors is likely minimal. During the Clinton impeachment - from the start of the inquiry to the end of the Senate trial - the stock market rose 27%. (Should I worry that the accompanying chart is attributed to Yahoo Finance?) During Nixon's, it fell but ... 1970s (talk about a lost decade for markets and the economy). Unless the outcome of the process affects, say, John Deere's earnings, markets are apt to do whatever they were going to do.

Fear that markets will act otherwise might explain the huge option volume we've noted elsewhere on the board.

David
  • Hi @hank
    You noted:

"the President has been busy strengthening our relations with our NATO allies in Europe"

You wrote this with a big smile on your face, yes???
  • Hi @David_Snowball
    The investment world has changed so much since the earlier dates you noted, IMHO. No, the "make money" aspect has not gone away; but the methods have changed (read the machines) and there exists such large sums of cheap, electronically created money travelling as I write.
    Tis reported that 75,000 bank/financial institution jobs disappeared this year, or into the near few years. The below link relates another part of the electronic world aside from algos affecting many areas, being A.I.
    Deutsche bank to cut 18,000 jobs
  • edited February 2020