Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paul Volker Dies at 92

edited December 2019 in Off-Topic
“Paul Volcker, who as chairman of the Federal Reserve under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan helped tame inflation with 22% interest rates that also crunched American manufacturing, farming, and real estate but led the way to two decades of expansion, has died. He was 92.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/09/paul-volcker-the-carter-reagan-fed-chairman-who-beat-inflation-dies-at-92.html

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Ha, great minds!:-) We both posted at almost the identical time.
  • edited December 2019

We both posted at almost the identical time.

Only because @Ted’s MIA. Otherwise this would have gone up on the board seconds after Volker’s last breath.

I recall Volker’s tenure and the decades preceding. Nixon tried (temporary) wage and price controls to halt runaway inflation. Gerald and Betty Ford promoted the “WIN PIN” (Whip Inflation Now). No-nonsense Volker, by contrast, exacted maximum pain with those 20% interest rates.

WIN Pins cost $1.00 when introduced. A check of eBay shows most selling for $5 and up today.

• I'm adding Paul Volcker's cigar to my list of things I hated about the 70's. Some of us batted that nutty subject around a while back. It's sad to see a symbol of an age die, even though I have no regret for that age.
  • At a 500% markup I guess those buttons didn't do their job.