Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

UK article Forget Premium Bonds! I'd prefer my chances with this FTSE 250 stock

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/12/10/forget-premium-bonds-id-prefer-my-chances-with-this-ftse-250-stock/

Forget Premium Bonds! I'd prefer my chances with this FTSE 250 stock
Motley Fool UK
It's easy to see why Premium Bonds pull in so many investors. A chance to win a tax-free £1m certainly grabs your attention, especially when it seems .

Comments

• @johnN

Ah, duh??????????????? U.K. Premium/tax free bonds and a company whose business is: "Games Workshop is the largest and the most successful tabletop fantasy and futuristic battle-games company in the world."
    What am I/we supposed to do with this information?

How do you decide what you feel is of investment value to post here, @johnN?

Also awaiting a reply to a similar question from yesterday (Dec. 9).

Note: I saw a story on Bloomberg yesterday regarding an investment area/outlook in Romania; but this isn't of value to post the story here.
  • To me, a premium bond is a bond selling above face value. Often a good investment as some investors are loathe to pay a premium for what would yield at least as much as a par bond.

However, it seems that in the UK premium bonds are glorified lottery tickets. Instead of getting interest on the bond, you get entered into lotteries.

So I agree with the headline, at least in part. Forget about UK lotteries. If you want to play a lottery, at least toss your money toward a US state lottery where the proceeds often fund education (however inefficiently): "Lottery revenues are allocated differently in each state, with determinations made by state legislatures. In many states, the money goes to public education, but some states dedicate it to other good causes."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mega-millions-lottery-lottery-money-states/story?id=58661412

Besides, I suspect Uncle Sam will have something different to say about those supposedly "tax-free £1m" prizes. And after all is said and done, is a lottery ticket, UK or otherwise, something that anyone here really cares about?