Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank December 2019
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Busting through the myths of 529 plans and qualified educational expenses

By Michelle Singletary a columnist for the Washington Post. Posted for those looking for information.

529 Plan Myths

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Creepy - After clicking on the 529 link they hid the article and served up a link allowing me to disable my ad blockers. After I clicked that link, they were able to display every one of the 4 ad blockers by name I’ve got installed on this Ipad. Alongside each displayed ad blocker were step by step directions for going to my device’s settings and disabling each. Nothing illegal or malicious. Just kinda creepy. Makes one wonder what else they were able to peek at on the device?

There was also a “Trust?” link generated by the IOS software on the IPad. That’s when I ran the other way because generally clicking “Trust” allows another computer to access your device’s content and settings. Not expert enough to know how large a window that would have opened up in this case.

WP’s a great paper. But is it any wonder at least some of us prefer to pay more and purchase completely ad-free subscriptions through Amazon’s Kindle service? Ironically, the WP is owned by the same Jeff Bezos that runs Amazon. Go figure.

Thanks for the story @Mark. I’ll download the Kindle edition later in the day which costs 75-cents an issue. And I was going to comment so as to bump this over to the Discussions+ section because I know a lot of readers here are interested in this topic.