Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Emerging markets land top of managers‘ portfolios with rising rates

https://stockdailydish.com/emerging-markets-land-top-of-managers-portfolios-with-rising-rates/

Emerging markets land top of managers‘ portfolios with rising rates

By David Randall

NEW YORK, March 24 (Reuters) – Rising short-term interest rates in the United States are prompting Lipper Award-winning bond fund managers to add emerging-market debt and non-agency backed residential mortgages that they say offer more potential for gains in the year ahead.

Comments

• When I saw this I wondered, what rising rates? Then I notice this was written in the spring when everyone (incorrectly) thought that would be the case.
  • edited December 2019
    @MikeM ...hi sir maybe in 9 months feds may raise rate again, dows may reach 29k

when we find out 4q 2018 was indeed a large correct ion/ small recession stock pulled back -15%

n focus - Economics
    How Q4 ranks among the worst 20 quarters of the past half century

-gobal stocks have suffered their worst quarter since 2011. We look at how it compared with the 20 worst quarters over the last 48 years and the potential silver lining for investors today._

https://www.schroders.com/en/insights/economics/how-q4-ranks-among-the-worst-20-quarters-of-the-past-half-century/
  • @johnN, are you looking at the dates of these articles you are posting, January 2019. This stuff is irrelevant.
  • edited December 2019
    Yeah - a confusing article. It says “Posted by SDD Contributor December 15, 2019” above the article. Than, within the article, it reverts to the original March (first publication) date. Stuff happens. I’d give John a pass on that one.

Well now ... Higher rates have been prophesied for at least 6 or 7 years now. I suspect the reasons it hasn’t happened are complicated and might even blow over into politics - Heaven forbid.

Rates fell (unexpectedly) for much of this year, but have reversed fairly sharply (upward) the past 6 weeks or so. The 10-year Treasury’s above 1.8%. Not sure what the 2-year’s at. But I’d guess money market funds will be soon creeping towards 2%.*

While rates have risen, there’s a lot of speculation the Dollar is going to weaken against other currencies. Trump has said recently he wants it to, and gold seems to be indicating that’s in the works as well. Central banks are loading up on gold. Rumors abound that the Fed is soon going to start purchasing longer dated bonds to try to hold rates down and spur growth (around year’s end.)

EM? In a wreaking dollar situation EM currencies would be attractive. If my time horizon was a bit longer I’d be holding some. As far as EM equities - that’s anybody’s guess. there’s a lot more parts in motion to consider.

* FYI - Here’s some current rates as posted on Bloomberg around noon 12/16:

2 YR Treasury. 1.64%

5 YR Treasury. 1.72%

10 YR - 1.89%

30 YR - 2.31

Vanguard’s Prime mm fund was yielding around 1.7% as of Friday.