Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund Outperforms Using 51-Year-Old Investment Strategy

edited December 2019 in Fund Discussions
https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/mutual-funds/best-mutual-funds-stick-works-franklin-dynatech-fund/

Mutual Fund Outperforms Using 51-Year-Old Investment Strategy

PAUL KATZEFF 09:43 AM ET 12/16/2019

What makes a portfolio one of the best mutual funds? How about sticking with an investment strategy that wins long-term?

Anyone has this fund
Franklin DynaTech Fund (FKDNX)?

Comments

• edited December 2019
    FDYZX (Advisor class) would always be better than paying the load for A class; I would consider FKDNX if I could get it load waived.
  • FDYZX would still be better if you can buy it, since it carries no 12b-1 fee.
    http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/purchase-info.html?t=FDYZX&region=usa&culture=en-US
  • beebee
    edited December 2019
    Here is a performance chart comparison (see link below) of FDYZX which include other funds that were around in 1968...such as LEXCX, VWINX, VWELX.

LEXCX would have been a better all stock fund choice. I find that a mutual fund needs a consistent higher upside capture (I'll call this alpha) in order to overcome its periodic downside. LEXCX achieved this "two steps forward...one step back" over the long term much more so that FDYZX has.

VWINX and VWELX even achieve a better performance ride most of time and with a lot less volatility compared to FDYZX.

Chart Comparison

• LEXCX would be good if it had a lower ER. Sorry, for an essentially unmanaged fund, the ER should be like .15 or less.