Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

investing 101 -What are the Best Income Generating Assets? Complete Guide

https://moneycheck.com/income-producing-assets/

What are the Best Income Generating Assets? Complete Guide

You might have already heard the phrase, “rich people don’t work for money, they have their money work for them.”

Comments

• Hi @johnN,

This is indeed a nice read.
  • edited December 2019
    From the linked web site:
    "MoneyCheck is a fast-growing online publication launched in 2018 with the aim of covering personal finance and investment news.

Our goal is to simplify and explain in clear language, what can be a confusing jumble of terms and concepts. We hope to provide clear, unbiased facts so people can make up their own mind about important financial decisions."

Being curious and using same to gather knowledge about investments; I'll periodically "bite" at a title that pronounces "Complete Guide". One never knows about a new and undiscovered individual who may actually be qualified in a subject area; and with the rare gift of presenting subject information in a clear and defined manner. When such articles are discovered here and elsewhere, at a minimum, I pass these along to friends and family to help provide for continuing financial educational purposes.
    BUT, I'm not quite sure what is going on with this "financial" write. Complete isn't a qualifying word with this. Periodically, one discovers some common terms for a U.S. marketplace, such as; CD's, 401k/403b, etf tickers, etc. As Mr. Oliver is an online media company owner, it is not clear whether he or a contributor wrote this article; nor to what are his or others qualifications to discuss some of the information provided. Or whether any number of the publications are for the sake of only generating revenue from site hits and clicks to other pages. While there is some valid info in the article, I don't find "complete" and if there is a click link to another page; I won't be traveling there.

A few of the head scratchers for me, from the article:

--- You might already own a 401(k) or IRA through your employer. However, you’ll only gain access to this cash when you turn 59.5-years old. If you have to draw down on your account before this date, you’ll end up paying penalties and fees on any money you withdraw.
    >>> Well, yes and no. Ready cash for immediate needs = yes; as loans may be available from a 401k.

--- Visit your bank and open a Certificate of Deposit (CD) instead. Banks are always looking for more capital. By taking a CD with a bank, you agree to pay them a fixed amount every month in return for interest on your money.
    >>> I must be out of the loop of knowledge for CD's as I don't know what, "agree to pay them a fixed amount every month", means.

--- Bonds are another attractive savings vehicle for long-term growth. Bonds couple interest earnings to the Federal Funds Rate, and you earn coupon payments on your principal investment. However, while relationships are a stable and liquid investment, they don’t offer much in the way of returns. At the moment, you can expect a yield of 1.75%, and if interest rates drop, then your profits do as well.
    >>> Huh ???....." and if interest rates drop, then your profits do as well." Well, I think I know what he is trying to portray; but this would confuse the hell for most folks as to the relationship between bond yield movements and pricing to cause a profit or not.
    Apparently, the writer hasn't kept up with U.S. bond funds returns for 2019, YTD.

--- Oliver Dale is Editor-in-Chief
    of MoneyCheck and founder of Kooc Media Ltd, A UK-Based Online Publishing company. A Technology Entrepreneur with over 15 years of professional experience in Investing and UK Business.His writing has been quoted by Nasdaq, Dow Jones, Investopedia, The New Yorker, Forbes, Techcrunch & More.He built Money Check to bring the highest level of education about personal finance to the general public with clear and unbiased reporting.[email protected]

--- Oliver Dale is Editor-in-Chief
    of GardenBeast and founder of Kooc Media Ltd, A UK-Based Online Publishing company. He has had a love of gardening for many years now and spends the spring to autumn months working on his own garden where he carries out one large project each year ( this year was decking & patio area ).
    Oliver oversees the day to day running of the website & publication of our articles.

IMHO, the article offers a few decent things to think about for some folks (considerations for owning a home), is very confusing in areas noted above and doesn't qualify as Investing 101, and COMPLETE is, well..............NOT even close, eh? Does Mr. Dale or others provide a peer review of the information before publishing?
    Not an article I will pass forward to others; and I don't understand why this link/article found its way to this site.
    Lastly, I don't plan to visit their GardenBeast site.

My 2 cents worth and Take care,
    Catch
  • I read through the article on this website, and I can't recommend it. There are a few good bits of wisdom, but a lot of inaccuracies. Catch22 pointed out a few of them. It seems to be promoting crowdsourced real-estate investing, particularly for "non-accredited" investors (is that investors with poor credit, or investors who have very little to invest?). It also promotes peer-to-peer lending, which sounds similar to payday lending, not at all what I would consider "investing". And as Catch22 points out, not at all complete.

If you're looking for a good income investing guide, I think you can do much better by looking elsewhere.