Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Looks like you need a subscription for your linked article. Can you summarize it?
  • @_stillers sorry sir thought I read it earlier just a glimmer

Basically author thought 2020 would be a big year for muni bonds since chance defaults still low
    There are still risks w possible raised interest rates , 2020 elections and tax issues but overall mini bonds markets still very atrractive
  • @stillers - I pulled this off Fidelity's Fixed Income research site:

"Municipal bond volume will finish the year above $400 billion for the fourth time since 2010 and third time in the past four years.
    “Considering how slow the year started, no one had that number or thought we would get there,” said one New York trader. “We were one pace for only about $330 billion six months in and then boom, all of a sudden all the taxables hit and here we are.”
    The muni market saw $433.27 billion back in 2010, $444.79 billion in 2016, and a record high $448.61 billion in 2017.
    “Expectations are high for next year volume wise,” he said. “Buyers should still be eager to buy munis as a true taxes safe haven, with principal, interest and callable bonds that should amplify demand as well. Munis are poised for another big year."
    There are no deals on the calendar until the week of Jan. 6. The New York MTA is scheduled to sell $1.5 billion in two separate competitive sales on Monday, Jan. 6. They are then scheduled to jump back into the market on Thursday, Jan. 9 when the authority is expected to sell a total of $939.555 million of green bonds in three separate sales."
  • I have been using a % in HY Munis for years in one of the following funds NHMAX, OPTAX, ORNAX, PHMIX based on momentum.