Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• Mark December 2019
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

capital gain loss carryover

I have a $3000 carry over from prior years that will be applied this year. My question is this year I have a realized loss of $1700 on funds I sold and approx 10k capital gains for this year. Am I correct in assuming that the $1700 loss is subtracted from the 10k gain , then the additional $3000 loss carry over applied to give me a total gain of $5300.00 ? If that is the case then I should sell more of my losers (tomorrow) to lower it as much as possible. I never paid attention to tax loss harvesting and trying to take advantage before the end of the year.
Or am I understanding it incorrectly and that only $1300 from the carryover is applied with the $1700.00 loss for a total of $3000 loss from the 10k gain this year and the total capital gain is $7000 .I don't know why I am having trouble understanding this as I think I am making it more complicated than it is.

Comments

• Maximum allowable capital loss deduction:

"Any excess net capital loss can be carried over to subsequent years to be deducted against capital gains and against up to $3,000 of other kinds of income. If you use married filing separate filing status, however, the annual net capital loss deduction limit is only $1,500."

The link below provides information from TurboTax.

Capital Gains and Losses