Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stocks soared this year. Half of millennials missed out

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/associated_press/business/stocks-soared-this-year-half-of-millennials-missed-out/article_f7cab953-bcbb-51e4-9abb-b35f0c07b24e.html

Stocks soared this year. Half of millennials missed out

'At 27, Nick de León knows firsthand about the gulf between millennials and Wall Street.

De León graduated this year from UC Berkeley with bachelor’s degrees in political science and rhetoric with plans to start law school soon, and he has an internship with a Superior Court judge in his hometown of San Bernardino. He’s also intrigued with the stock market.'

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Don't worry, the rest will get in just in time for the crash, just like they'll start to vote Republican and complain about wasteful government spending after they begin receiving Social Security and Medicare. By the way, I would take the improvement to human capital, i.e., salary and job prospects, from an expensive college degree over stock market gains any day of the week. Admittedly, the cost of that degree should be a lot less than it currently is.
  • I've seen it too ... 2002 and 2008 did not help. It flies in face of one of best ways to become wealthy: take advantage of a long time horizon.
  • Yup. Lots of scared folks out there, still. I bet some are still trying to get back to even, even now.

On a side note, think about the younger FAs who have never worked through a major recession/correction and how they might act or think when trading or advising clients during the next one. All they've ever seen is a market go up. That's a scary thought!
    Charles said:

I've seen it too ... 2002 and 2008 did not help. It flies in face of one of best ways to become wealthy: take advantage of a long time horizon.