Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Lies Ahead for Stocks...Stock Mutual Funds?

beebee
edited January 2020 in Fund Discussions
Usually linked by @Old_Skeet...January's Newsletter:

funds-newsletter.com/jan20-newsletter/jan20-new.htm

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Hi @bee, No problem whatsoever in your posting this. I always enjoy reading what Dr. Madell has to write about on investing. Besides, my thinking, the more people that post the better the activity for the board.

My takeaway, from reading the newsletter, is that the past five year returns will be much like the next five year period. I indeed hope that this comes to be (or better).

Have a grand day.

Skeet
  • edited January 2020
    I'd thought I make a second comment about this months edition of Dr. Madell's newsletter.

I find it interesting that Dr. Madell chose five year periods for his study to determine what the next five years might offer investors. This is because I use a rolling five year period to determine what my portfolio's distributions will be. What I do is take (up to) a sum equal to what one half of my five year aveage returns have been as a retirement distribution and I have also found that principal grows over time by leaving the other half for capital formation. This is the way I ran my parents money years back (when they were retired) and it worked well for them growing their principal over time while providing them income to live off of. With this, I figured well if it "aint" broke why try to fix it. Thus, I do the same for me and my wife.

Thank you Dr. Madell @tmadell for writting about your five year study concerning capital formation as I found it to be extremely interesting.

Cordially,
    Old_Skeet