Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bridgewater Associates says flagship fund will be flat on the year

https://nypost.com/2020/01/07/bridgewater-associates-says-flagship-fund-will-be-flat-on-the-year/amp/

Bridgewater Associates says flagship fund will be flat on the year

The world’s largest hedge fund is proving a bit of a lightweight.

Ray Dalio’s Bridgewater Associates has notified investors that its flagship Pure Alpha fund will be flat on the year — ending an 18-year winning streak, according to Institutional Investor.

It’s unclear what Dalio told investors in reporting the disappointing results, but flat returns could be difficult to justify in a year when the S&P 500 index returned 31.5 percent.

Comments

• edited January 2020
    (Apparently the fund’s 2019 results). Seems to me the markets today are outsmarting even the smartest investors. Call that an oxymoron if you like. But nobody ever claimed that the markets are always rational.

“Watchers argue Dalio has been overly focused on his 2017 book, ‘Principles,’ which he continues to promote on LinkedIn and Twitter years after launch. The 70-year-old hedge has been popping up everywhere to tout the book, including a recent video interview with rapper and entrepreneur P. Diddy.“

Give me a break!
  • Ah, the investors LAMENT, eh? We all have our days, weeks and years, yes?

Per the way back music files, from The Shirelles, in 1961, a partial descriptive lyric could be:

"Mama said there'll be days like this
    There'll be days like this, mama said
    (Mama said, mama said)
    Mama said there'll be days like this
    There'll be days like this, my mama said
    (Mama said, mama said)"