Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Favorite "Over Seas" Funds

beebee
edited January 2020 in Fund Discussions
I'm thinking 2020 will be a good year for ex-US investments. Looking to grow a list in a few categories for further discussion and consideration.

China Region:
Matthews China Small Companies = MCSMX
Matthews Asia Innovator Investors = MATFX
Matthews China Dividend Investor = MCDFX
Fidelity® China Region = FHKCX

Diversified Emerging Markets:
Fidelity® Emerging Markets = FEMKX

Diversified Pacific/Asia Ex-Japan:
Matthews Asia Growth Investor = MPACX
Fidelity® Pacific Basin = FPBFX
Fidelity® Emerging Asia = FSEAX
T. Rowe Price Asia Opportunities = TRAOX

Japan:
Matthews Japan Investor = MJFOX
T. Rowe Price Japan = PRJPX
Hennessey Japan Small Company = HJPSX

Europe Stock:
Columbia Acorn European Inst = CAEZX

Foreign Large Blend / Growth / Value:
MFS Intl Diversification I = MDIJX
FMI International = FMIJX
T. Rowe Price Intl Disciplined Eq Inv = PRCNX
USAA International = USIFX
Vanguard International Growth Inv = VWIGX
Fidelity® International Capital Appreciation = FIVFX
PGIM Jennison International Opps Z = PWJZX
Columbia Overseas Value Inst = COSZX

Foreign Small Blend / Growth / Value:

Royce International Premier Investment = RIPNX
Fidelity® International Small Cap = FISMX

World:
Artisan Global Opportunities Inv = ARTRX
T. Rowe Price Global Stock = PRGSX
Vanguard Global Miniumum Volitilty = VMVFX

Comments

• Nice list.

I sold all my Asian stuff. Too much excitement in that part of the world.

You might consider Lazard Global Listed Infrastructure GLFOX for a sector fund. Their definition of infrastructure seems a little broader than others. But it's a stable fund with a good dividend:
    It invests at least 80% of its assets in equity securities of infrastructure companies, which consist of utilities, pipelines, toll roads, airports, railroads, ports, telecommunications and other infrastructure companies, with securities listed on a national or other recognized securities exchange.
    The rating system used here calls it a Great Owl.

Grandeur Peak International Stalwarts GISYX is another small/mid growth fund. Dodge and Cox has a large world fund DODWX, and a large international fund DODFX. All three funds are low cost for their categories. I don't know if they're owls are not.
  • from @JohnN link...

The 25 Best Low-Fee Mutual Funds to Buy in 2020

25-best-low-fee-mutual-funds-to-buy-2020

Fidelity International Growth = FIGFX
    Oakmark International = OAKIX
    Baron Emerging Markets = BEXFX
    AMG TimesSquare International Small Cap Fund = TCMPX
  • My choices to build out your list would include:
    MIOPX (Foreign), ARTJX or BCSVX (Foreign Small-Mid), and MGGPX (Global)
  • I've used two for some time now, MGGPX a world fund and GLFOX a sector fund mentioned by WABAC which M* categorizes as a US Infrastructure fund but it's mostly not. I would love to hear the logic behind that placement.
  • The funds I actually own in my IRA are the FMI fund, the Dodge and Cox global, the Grandeur Peak growth, and the Lazard infrastructure.

In my taxable account I hold the FMI fund, and an ancient stake in a Vanguard International growth fund VWIGX that I never look at.

These days lots of funds are taking a small flyer on international stocks. So you might want to look at what you already have.
  • edited January 2020
    VTPSX. Everyone's returns will converge to this over time, so why bother with others?
  • VTPSX. Everyone's returns will converge to this over time

I stopped reading after time
  • Like Ben, I hold ARTJX MGGPX and MIOPX... take a look at MFAPX too which has the best risk adjusted returns for international over last 3 and 5 and 7 years
  • Mark said:

I've used two for some time now, MGGPX a world fund and GLFOX a sector fund mentioned by WABAC which M* categorizes as a US Infrastructure fund but it's mostly not. I would love to hear the logic behind that placement.

It's mostly foreign, and classified as an infrastructure sector fund based in the US, just as MGGPX is a US Fund World Large Stock fund, i.e. a US based global fund.
    What types of firms do infrastructure funds invest in?
    Infrastructure funds primarily invest in energy, industrial, utilities, and telecom firms that hold long-duration assets that generate stable cash flows. Examples include toll road operators, pipeline firms, airports, cell tower owners, and electric and gas utilities.

What are the general traits of infrastructure funds?
    Prior to the creation of the infrastructure category, most of the funds were classified as world-stock funds. Typically, these funds have about a 30% to 50% allocation in U.S. stocks with the remainder invested in firms domiciled in the developed world. These funds, on average, tend to exhibit lower beta relative to the market.
    https://www.morningstar.com/articles/751882/growing-fund-choices-spur-4-new-categories
  • It's true that MGGPX and MIOPX are US-based, but the management team works in Hong Kong. Kristian Heugh also runs an Asia growth fund for MS, MSAUX. The latter still seems to have a load where I shop whereas the first two are NL/NTF.
  • edited January 2020
    RIPNX recently lost its lead manager, David Nadel, so I would consider that before investing in it.
  • DoubleLine has an international Shiller/CAPE strategy that may be of interest to value investors. The tickers are DLEUX/DSEUX.

dinky linky
    Maintain a core portfolio of debt instruments that focuses on global fixed income rotation while simultaneously obtaining exposure to the European Equity sector rotation strategy via The Shiller Barclays CAPE® Europe Sector Net TR USD Index. The Index aims to identify undervalued sectors based on a modified CAPE® Ratio, and then uses a momentum factor to seek to mitigate the effects of potential value traps. By using both a value indicator and a momentum indicator, the Index aims to provide more stable and improved risk adjusted returns. The CAPE® Ratio is used to assess equity markets valuations and averages ten years of reported earnings to account for earnings and market cycles. European sectors are equal-weighted notional long exposure to four European sectors that are undervalued. Each European sector is represented by a sector index. Each month, the Index ranks ten European sectors based on a modified CAPE® Ratio (a “value” factor) and a twelve-month price momentum factor (a “momentum” factor). The Index selects the five European sectors with the lowest modified CAPE® Ratio — the sectors that are the most undervalued according to the CAPE® Ratio. Only four of these five undervalued sectors, however, end up in the Index for a given month, as the sector with the worst 12-month price momentum among the five selected sectors is eliminated. The sectors are typically comprised of issuers represented in the MSCI Europe Index, which captures large and mid cap stocks across 15 developed market countries in Europe.