Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Now, Try Slicing the Stock Market Into Equal Pieces

edited January 2020 in Fund Discussions
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/business/stock-market-index-equal-weight.html

Now, Try Slicing the Stock Market Into Equal Pieces

_
Index fund investing is already immensely popular. But is it time to consider funds that construct indexes differently?

Equal-weighted funds tend to be “more expensive, smaller in size and trade less frequently than the cap-weighted alternatives,” he said. The diversification they provide outweighs those drawbacks, in his view, “but they are things for investors to keep in mind.”
_

Comments

• edited January 2020
    The equally weighted oef that I like that is comprised of the top 100 US companies is VYCAX (Corporate Leaders 100 Fund). I have owned this fund off and on over the past ten years, or so, and have at times used it as one of my spiff (special investment) positions. One of the reasons I like this fund is that it usually has a good distribution yield. Last year its distribution yield was 9.3% which includes capital gain distributions. Although, it is an equity fund I consider it an income generating fund as well. Not only will it grow your principal through the years it will put some spiff in your poscket if you take all distributions in cash as I do.

Another equally weighted oef that I have used in the past as a spiff position is VADAX (Equally Weighted S&P 500 Fund). It has had some good distribution payouts as well; but, generally, lower than what VYCAX produces.