Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

VALUE STOCKS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK AND HERE’S HOW TO GET STARTED EARLY

https://magviral.com/value-stocks-are-making-a-comeback-and-heres-how-to-get-started-early/

VALUE STOCKS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK AND HERE’S HOW TO GET STARTED EARLY

The US stock market now appears to be risky as valuations are rich as sentiment moves higher. But there is a solution for this: Top up unpopular, cheap stocks.

Stocks are expensive or not but it's very difficult to pick winners these days since many pundits are predicting prepare for *near end of cycle* slowdowns and melt downs

Think dji may go up 5 _10% from here for another 12 or 24 months but we ever know

Comments

• ALL CAPS SUBJECT LINE, well; OK !

We're biased at this house; so this will show in the write.
    Understanding that value investing is a "buy it low"; we prefer a buy it low, when present into the growth sectors. However, I'm sure decent money has been made with the more stellar value funds.

The below chart compares two active managed funds in the value and growth areas. I can not vouch for the quality of the value fund relative to other similar funds. And the growth fund is a proxy look only, as this fund is closed to new money, with exceptions being inside of retirement plans, existing owners and such.

From Sept. 5, 2008 to March 9, 2009 the following losses were in place for these two funds:
    FSLVX = - 49.2%
    FDGRX = - 41.9%

Value may yet have a sustained period of superior performance, vs growth. There is much investment ground to be made up.....by value I won't be there to enjoy.

The chart below is a longer view of total return performance.

Chart of FSLVX v FDGRX , begin Nov. 2001 to date.

As always, be curious in life.
    Catch
  • @catch22, good chart to illustrate the point. In the last 10 years or more, the US large cap growth stocks have dominated the market over the value stocks. When will that switch the lead, no one really know until the report earnings start to reverse, but that has not been the case.
  • edited January 2020
    My value sleeves have yet to catch my growth sleeves for the past rolling twelve months. The results follow: Small/Mid Cap (Value) +18.84% ... Domestic Equity (Value) +19.04 ... Global Equity (Value) +23.66 ... Global Growth +26.50% ... Large/Mid Cap Growth +28.44% ... Other Growth +30.34%.

I have bookmarket this thread and will make a comparison between the sleeves every quarter, or so.