Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Three cheers for sloth and simplicity! 2019 another fruitful year for investing the Couch Potato way

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/personal-finance/2020/01/19/three-cheers-for-sloth-and-simplicity/

Three cheers for sloth and simplicity! 2019 another fruitful year for investing the Couch Potato way

/We have a work ethic problem. Too much of it.

Lots of people think that if they work hard and long, if they grunt and puff, if they demonstrate serious mental effort, if they read copiously and take notes — if they do all those things — they will be successful investors./

We have been following Scott Burns for quite sometimes l. He usually have good inputs regarding index Investmenting/funds

Comments

• edited January 2020
    If you have quality stocks and SWAN allocations, you can do nothing and reap the benefits. I don't like/hold index funds and am in individual stocks/active funds and am quite happy knowing that if I touch my portfolios it's for a damn good reason only and not based on a single day's headlines. ... I made only a handful of trades last year, mainly reallocating positions, adding some new ones, and then managing/trimming my large BA holding.

When growing long-term wealth, boring is beautiful.

• Excellent points....pick you strategy and stick with it
  • One thing about Scott Burns is he has been singing the 2 fund portfolio for years. See here from 2006 - https://scottburns.com/four-milestones-for-successful-investing/. My impression is that the Boglehead philosophy is now a 2 fund portfolio - but back in 2006 it was at least 3 funds, or maybe 5 with a REIT, SV & V lean.