Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Got Alexa? Ask for a stock quote.

edited January 2020 in Off-Topic
Say, “Alexa, give me a stock quote for (name the company).” Alexa will look up and read back the latest price, day’s change in value, and time of day for the quote. Not for everyone. I know many who refuse to use Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant out of privacy concerns. However, if you do use one of these gadgets, I thought you might like to know of this investment related capability.
-

PS - Perhaps this wasn’t the best time to tout Alexa, in light of Amazon founder’s Jeff Bezos’ iphone having recently been hacked.:(

Comments

• Yeah that's a big NO! If it wasn't recorded, stored on a server, passed around, and sold it would be a nice feature but Alexa, Siri and GA already have enough money. Maybe once my grandson starts programming I'll ask him to build me my own private app.
  • edited January 2020
    @Mark - Please see my “PS” above. I just might unplug her myself.:)
  • @hank - another good reason as if I needed another. I wasn't responding to you specifically. It was more toward just the concept. I just hate how the internet in general has degraded from it's original concept of knowledge sharing.
  • Yeah, these "gadgets" are definitely a generational thing but once you use them they seem so time-saving and so easy. I've been over my daughters house for dinner when my son-in-law is at the cutting board he'll say "Alexa - turn on the oven to 350, alexa - set the timer for 30 minutes". We might be watching a game on TV and my daughter will say "Alexa - call such and such" to order a pizza. I was in Columbus visiting my son and he was driving when I asked "how many people live here?" He wasn't sure so I told him I'll look it up when we get back to the house. He smiles at me and just says, "google - how many people live in Columbus?". In seconds a ladies voice gives the answer.

It's a fascinating world the younger generation lives in - in parallel to our old fashion one:)
  • edited January 2020
    Mark said:

@hank - another good reason as if I needed another. I wasn't responding to you specifically. It was more toward just the concept. I just hate how the internet in general has degraded from it's original concept of knowledge sharing.

Edit: Forgot to say that I agree with Mark’s take on the internet. “Vast Wasteland II”
    You were being taken advantage of earlier @Mark. I just wanted to re-emphasize that I like others have reservations, so tagged that on later to your post. And, thank you for responding in the first place.

FWIW - I use Alexa. It’s easy to turn off or disconnect if you want to avoid being overheard. Best use is with Amazon’s Prime Music Unlimited (premium). When reading at night I can ask for virtually any artist, song, or album to be played.

Other common Alexa uses in this home:

- Look up and read Wikipedia articles on virtually any topic

- Inquire / be informed of flight times or driving distances to / from various destinations city-to-city

- Receive, current temperature, weather conditions and time of day for virtually any large city in the world.

- Inquire / confirm delivery dates of products purchased / shipped from Amazon

- Be informed of dates of major events like: national elections, major sporting events and major holidays

Really - The uses are endless.