Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Did repo - market close up shop today ?

Market caused a lot of RED to show up in my account today !
Trying to have a good weekend, Derf

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Derf said:

Market caused a lot of RED to show up in my account today ! Trying to have a good weekend, Derf

No Derf - Likely they’re loading up the cannon as we speak to fire off an even bigger repo round Monday. Hopefully some of the blast will land as far away as China.

Here they are hard at work right now ...

• edited February 2020
    Here’s the Fed’s daily Repo posting for today, February 3, 2020.

($6.160 billion)

https://apps.newyorkfed.org/markets/autorates/tomo-results-display?SHOWMORE=TRUE&startDate=01/01/2000&enddate=01/01/2000
  • @hank, that 6.16 BILLION was just 1 of many done deals if I'm reading that right ?!
    Interest 1.5 % ?
    Thank for the info, Derf
  • edited February 2020
    Derf said:

@hank, that 6.16 BILLION was just 1 of many done deals if I'm reading that right ?

@Derf, Yes. Looks like the $6 Bil is a daily transfusion intended to keep patient healthy. Keep in mind, however, to these guys $6 Bil is just “chump-change“.

The Chinese are far ahead of the Fed: “To calm jittery investors, the CPC decided to inject $174 billion into the financial markets through open market reverse repo operations. Additionally, the CPC also banned short-selling and banned major shareholders from selling stock for six months.” STORY

We’ll need to catch up. But I’ll have trouble subsiding if we’re banned from selling our funds just to make the market go higher. (Can’t eat that NAV).

Thanks for the question @Derf. Like the Fed - “The gift that keeps on giving ...”:)