Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Godfather’ of technical analysis says stock-market downturn is going to get worse: ‘I am looking at

edited February 2020 in Fund Discussions
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/079ad811-d3e8-3f82-8046-7036a2f542f5/‘godfather’-of-technical.html

Godfather’ of technical analysis says stock-market downturn is going to get worse: ‘I am looking at a 10% drop maybe a little bit more

10%drop corrections sx head-!?!!

Comments

• I have no idea what this means "10%drop corrections sx head-!?!!"
  • Just be aware that on January 4, 2018 he said this:

"“I am so bullish I have to sit down and calm down,” the director of technical research for Altaira Capital Partners said in an interview with “Closing Bell.”".

All I'm saying is that you should have an investment plan in place before reacting to either of these statements otherwise you're just guessing/gambling.

Ralph Acampora: I am so bullish I have to sit down and calm down
  • edited February 2020
    Hi @Mark

“Yah” ! That Jan. 4, 2018 comment:

--- Jan. 18 - Feb. 6 found a -11.83% for SP-500

--- The high point on Jan. 18 wasn't recovered until July 25

--- Then, a -10% during the month of October.

--- THEN, from Dec. 13 - Dec. 24, a -13%

Sometimes, enough fun to cause one to want to wear "Depends" all of the time; regardless of age or need.

Aside from the above:

Heck, I continue to debate when to quite playing with all of the money as our portfolios remain a close mirror of FBALX. Not a bad benchmark; but........

'Course, then one tries to convince that little character on top of one's shoulder; OH, just a little bit, okay? So, let's try 90% into FBALX and 10% to break a full court press.:)

Tough being an investment junkie, eh ???

Take care,
    Catch

• Based on a quick Google search, a sx head appears to be a cylinder head for motorcycles. In this case I think it's a typo of the word ahead.
  • edited February 2020
    Some here might remember Acampora as a frequent panelist on Louis Rukeyser’s old show. Ralph was a bit of an eccentric even than, a technocratic maverick often divergent from the consensus adrift in his charts.

How Ralph Acampora Painted a 70-Foot Chart of the Dow on His Barn - WSJ Story

Photo of Acampora painting his barn

• In this case I think it's a typo of the word ahead.
    Agree. Likely to have generate more typo when type with one hand on cell phones.