Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Taxes & Statement from M&N?

edited February 2013 in Off-Topic
This should be easy question - but new to equity investing outside of TSAs. Statement from Manning and Napier (EXTAX) shows a small "qualified dividend" paid in 2012. I realize this is taxable. Another column shows "total capital gains distributions" (much larger amount). Is it also subject to taxes now? - FYI: I made systematic contributions during 2012. I DID NOT sell any of the fund or otherwise withdraw assets. Thanks.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Maurice: Thanks Maurice. Makes sense now that you put it that way. Yes - the cap gains were reinvested. I'm sure Turbotax - or whatever we end up using - will get it right in the end. Just unusually late doing taxes this year. Probably not until April due to travel plans & other matters. Always nice to have a heads-up in advance. Thanks again.
  • It's not clear whether you're talking about a periodic (or annual) account statement or a 1099-DIV. In the latter case, there are standard boxes and filing instructions. (The actual layout of the 1099-DIV seems to vary from family to family, but the boxes remain constant.)

Here's the IRS 1099-DIV template form and instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099div.pdf

Box 1b is qualified dividends, and the amount there is included in the total ordinary dividend amount (box 1a). The qualified dividends are taxed at 15% (or less) and go into line 9b of Form 1040. (Box 1a goes into line 9a.)

Mutual funds generally pay everything out in the form of dividends that you reinvest (usually automatically) or take as cash. As Maurice said, these are taxable in a taxable account.

Some of those dividends represent your share of dividends paid by the underlying stocks held by the fund, and also short term capital gains recognized by the fund (when it sold underlying securities). This is what goes into box 1a on the 1099-DIV. Other dividends represent long term capital gains recognized by the fund. This is what goes into box 2a ("total capital gains distributions"), and is reported on line 13 of Form 1040. They're taxed as capital gains, even though the fund distributes them as fund dividends (and thus reports them on 1099-DIV).

• edited February 2013
    Reply to @msf: Thank you. Good link. Yes - The form received today is "2012 FORM 1099-DIV". Everything you said makes sense. Think I read elsewhere that the line 2A cap gains are considered long term - in which case will only get hit 15%. Will double-check that for sure before filing & if needed call M&N for assistance.