Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's up with Mr. Market !?

Monday, Presidents Day !! Tuesday , futures off to a red day !! Corona virus or just another day, (movement), in the market ?

Have a good one, Derf

Comments

• With everything at or near highs, the market needs to either correct or dance around before advancing. Every day can't be a new high. I do wish it could.
  • edited February 2020
    Corona !?maybe... japanese and Asia maybe heading recession soon
  • Overnight futures reversed immediately after the Apple announcement and futures, then market averages, have stayed pretty much where they landed post-announcement.
  • @johnN

"maybe heading recession soon"

Always a recession around the corner, eh?
  • edited February 2020
    Mr Market is overbought from my perspective and due for a pullback.
  • edited February 2020
    (1) The numbers in China reported to be ill or dead with coronavirus are staggering. Much of China’s manufacturing is shut down. It’s definitely affecting the supply chain to companies like Apple and Ford. There are unconfirmed reports that China is hiding the real size of the issue. (Sometimes even unconfirmed / unsubstantiated reports trigger investor reaction.) Further, over the weekend hundreds were unwittingly allowed to disembark a cruise ship docked in Cambodia who are now believed to have been exposed to the virus while aboard. They’ve traveled to destinations world wide - heightening concerns about the spread.

(2) In addition, the Administration is considering halting exports of some significant amounts of technology to China (based on national security). The tech companies are opposed. If it goes through it will hurt their revenue stream.

I follow gold for entertainment. Far to volatile for me to hold much of a stake. But it’s having best day in a while - up $20 to over $1600. Even a small amount in one’s portfolio seems to have a big impact. A mining fund can rise or fall 5% or more in a single day. Can either “make-up-for” or compound the day’s losses. Gold’s spike today might be a reaction to the above mentioned issue.

Coronavirus figures - “ The update raised the number of deaths in mainland China to 1,868 and the total confirmed cases to 72,436.” https://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-reports-1886-new-coronavirus-cases-and-more-deaths-but-says-most-illnesses-are-mild-2020-02-18

Cruise ship story - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/world/asia/coronavirus-cruise-americans.html

Possible ban on tech exports - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/business/economy/us-china-technology.html
  • Old_Skeet said:

Mr Market is overbought from my perspective and due for a pullback.

for sure --- 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ...

• edited February 2020
    Good one @Davidrmoran. - Warnings are reminiscent of Ralph Kramden’s empty baseless threats in The Honeymooners:

“One of these days Alice ..... One of these days!”
  • Well in all fairness to Ralph he was dealing with the Mrs and I understand his timidity in going there.
  • edited February 2020
    Maybe its good time to buy-add tu o asian and Japanese stocks /indexes now...along with couple of rolaids