Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Not sure E-Trade clients will see any benefit from this merger. Looks like I need to transfer my E-Trade account to Vanguard to avoid the 4th quarter chaos !
  • VBS is good for providing access to some third party funds with lower mins (e.g. Pimco institutional class shares @$25K), and it pays good interest on its settlement/transaction MMF (VMFXX). Also, for Flagship customers Vanguard waives the fee on 25 or more non-NTF fund trades annually.

But be aware that in some ways the platform is archaic. While for third party funds you can have the divs deposited into the settlement account, "You can only choose bank transfer or check for Vanguard mutual funds."

"what if you recently purchased shares of your settlement fund by bank transfer or check? In this case, the money may not be immediately available to pay for brokerage transactions. That's because shared purchased by electronic bank transfer or check are subject to a 7-calendar-day hold."
    https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/online-trading/settlement-fund

If you're a Flagship customer or you're interested in particular funds available at Vanguard, or if you're just trying to consolidate on one platform, transferring an account there can make sense. Otherwise, ISTM that there are better platforms around.

For example, you could transfer your account to TD Ameritrade for a nice bonus, and shortly wind up with an account at Schwab. I've found Schwab to provide fine service.

Or you could just wait and see how MS incorporates E*Trade.
  • Thanks for the information. After reviewing my E-Trade account, I'll probably split the transfer between my existing accounts at Vanguard and Schwab.