Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Welcome to "other investing"

MFO has long operated with one "master" discussion board, rather than Morningstar-like sub-forums. That reflected the desire of our community members to avoid fragmentation, and to avoid encouraging a drift away from the site's mission.

With time, we created "off-topic" as our version of the office water cooler (or hand sanitizer station).

Now, following thoughtful requests from several people and reservations from few, we've added "other investing" as a hub for speculations about whether Covid-19 will trigger a recession, central bankers will flee in luxury yachts, interest rates will go negative ... or whatever topics you think bear meaningfully on the future of markets and the economy.

The underlying rule for posting is the same: say something sensible, and say it will due respect for likelihood that other, bright, thoughtful people might well have reached a conclusion that differs from yours. Paging through The Plague, you hear Albert Camus say thoughtful things ("stupidity has a knack of getting its way") about life under enormous stress. One struck me:
The evil in the world comes almost always from ignorance, and goodwill can cause as much damage as ill-will if it is not enlightened. People are more often good than bad, though in fact that is not the question. But they are more or less ignorant and this is what one calls vice or virtue, the most appalling vice being the ignorance that thinks it knows everything ...
I don't. You don't. We don't. But, as the Make Me Smart folks weekly aver, "None of us is as smart as all of us."

Take great care.

Comments

• edited March 2020
    Hi Sir...thank you so much
    Great minds do think alike