Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Can the individual investor beat the machines & more

I enjoyed this read & hope you do also.
www.marketwatch.com/story/algorithms-sped-up-selling-leading-to-the-fastest-bear-mar

Derf

Comments

• edited March 2020
    thankyou Derf - Appreciate your linkage

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/algorithms-sped-up-selling-leading-to-the-fastest-bear-market-in-stock-market-history-2020-03-26

/Opinion: Algorithms sped up selling, leading to the fastest bear market in stock market
    By Beth Kindig
    The selling of stocks accelerated this month, leaving Americans with less wealth to scramble for cash/
  • edited March 2020
    Sometimes the better money is made over the long term by trading slowly. When I traded futures I started with 5, 3, and 1 minute time charts then tick charts and other esoteric ones, often opening and closing entire positions "inside the bar". Finally I realized how the markets worked and that the 15m chart worked best for my needs and trading psychology when trading US index futures to filter out the noise of algos trading with themselves. Weekly charts are my default for stock investing these days, too.

As Jedi Master Terra Sinube once told an impulsive young padawan student, "The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead." ;)