Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Worldwide debt significantly increased

edited April 2020 in Off-Topic
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/warning-after-worldwide-debt-reaches-322-of-gdp-11969934

Previously was 322% last year but would be significantly higher after covid19 recovery

Any chance massive global recession/looming?

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2020
    Seems this debt (QE) would be categorized as long term debt yet is being directed at short term debt issues (unemployment, relief stimulus).

Ray Dalio does a great job at explaining the long and short term debt cycles and there effects on the economy.

I'll post this 30 minutes presentation on how the economic machine works (by Ray Dalio).

Seems worth watching again and discussing:

Debt is such a ubiquitous part of our everyday lives. We all need to understanding the role debt plays in our lives and our portfolios.

• Yes, I've enjoyed this video too. Very good. c
  • beebee
    edited May 2020
    Recent article on:

How the US Government "Monetizes" Debt:

Some thoughts:

I think this mean freeing up debt and turning the debt into money. You and I do this with property. We finance a "cash out refinance" on our homes. We free up cash at a low interest for spending. We do this with "0% Credit Card offers". We fee up cash for spending at 0% interests rates for X number of months on new purchases or cash advances.

This pushes debt into the future. It also makes one persons debt (you, me or the Fed) another persons income. Debt will have to be paid off the in the future. We do this by - buying less things, earning more income and saving, or selling assets we own - to make these future debt payments.

How the Fed Monetizes the U.S. Debt
  • On another note:

We need people working to provide goods and services:
    The Treasury can make up for people’s lost wages, but people need the things wages buy. So replacing lost wages and revenues will not be enough for long: the economy has to produce goods and services.
    Source:
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4345783-simulation-game