Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best Covid Epidemiology Paper. A Must Read. Chart at bottom says it all

This guy is a Professor at Stanford, specializing in analyzing large data. He has done outstanding work compiling and analyzing hundreds of countrys' Covid responses with very very important lessons for the US. I strongly encourage you to read all his articles.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-should-we-aim-for-herd-immunity-like-sweden-b1de3348e88b

Comments

• What I find on his linkedin page is he's a Stanford MBA. He doesn't mention being a professor. He's a clever writer. Hammer and dance is a colorful analogy. And he does a good job communicating some things that need to be understood.

But when I think of epidemiology I think of the evolving picture on the airborne transmission of covid, and why everyone needs to wear masks.

Here.

Here.

And here. For example.

It's not about sneezing, coughing, and droplets anymore.
  • edited June 2020
    Here is the "chart at the bottom".

Changes in the number of cases being reported is partially due to increasing levels of testing in some states as well as to other factors. What would be more helpful to me at this point would be to see charts for each of the 50 states showing weekly trend lines for the % of beds occupied in ICU's and the number of deaths caused by Covid-19. Its too bad that data is not currently available for all states.
  • My state (Arizona) would likely be number one on the chart if Governor Maskless hadn't imposed a week-long curfew on the state after the Battle of Scottsdale.

Last numbers I saw, cases were up around 70%, and testing is up around 50%. Hospital occupancy went from 600 per day to 1200 per day in six days.

Needless to say, most people don't wear masks. The county health director for Maricopa didn't start wearing a mask until last Wednesday. But at least the Zonies don't hassle those that do.
  • Red state governors do not want to list hospitalization or % positive tests as it allows them to attribute increasing cases to more testing. However hospitalizations and % positive are all going up in Texas Florida
  • This careless policy only leads to more infection and death. Las Vegas opened 2 weeks ago and people returned without taking much precautions. Forget about face coverings and social distancing. California's beaches and Disney Land theme park are opening up too. Think we will stay put for the summer, although it will be hard on the family.

New finding indicates new mutation increases the virus's spike to adhere to host cells, thus increases its infection rates.
  • someone pointed out, maybe it was here, that vegas is by definition full of people with extremely sketchy (to put it nicely) notions about risk and gambling
  • Howdy folks,

Thanks for the great read. A couple of metrics we all need to watch. Hospitalization and the percentage of positive tests. Most testing DOES result in more positives, but if the percentage of positives is increasing, that is bad. Hospitalizations increasing is bad.

rono
  • Thanks for posting that interview, @davidmoran. For some reason, Sgt. Joe Friday’s, « the facts, ma’m, nothing but the facts, » popped into my head. I lament the lack of solid research and digging out the facts that characterize much of what passes for journalism these days, especially on certain cable news channels that I can’t watch for more than a couple of seconds before I scream « BS. »
  • edited June 2020
    Leadership is critical at a time like this! Most of us are eager for the restrictions caused by the pandemic to be a thing of the past. I was very relieved to learn that testing is the primary method of transmission for the virus. Having not been tested, I am safe!
  • "Trust the Math" - very good and sane interview. Thanks for posting.