Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hussman's Finally Right - HSGFX

beebee
edited June 2020 in Fund Discussions
John’s been betting on economic and stock market collapses forever. We finally got the 30% bear market he’s been prophesying for about ten years and 20,000 Dow points. Unfortunately, it only lasted like two weeks and the market immediately rebounded. That’s got to be frustrating, waiting all that time to be right and then being right for a different reason and then it comes and goes in a blink anyway…
something-to-hate-for-everyone/

Hussman's Petition:
house-committee-on-financial-services-senate-banking-committee-stop-the-federal-reserve-from-printing-money-to-buy-junk-bonds?

Comments

• From wiki(link)

John Peter Hussman (born 15 October 1962) is an American stock market analyst and hedge fund owner. From 1992 to 1998, Hussman was Professor of Economics and International Finance at the University of Michigan.[2][3] In 1998–2000, Hussman set up Hussman Strategic Advisors, a hedge fund which successfully anticipated the dot-com bubble.[4] Hussman also successfully anticipated the 2008–09 credit crisis[5], but has severely under performed since then.

In September 2010, Hussman managed US$ 6.7 billion.[6][4] Since the post-2013 recovery, Hussman has remained bearish, asserting that central banking "quantitative easing" ("QE") has distorted markets and created a false recovery, and inflated asset prices, which had led to extremely poor investment performance.[6] As of 30 September 2019, Hussman's Strategic Growth fund had a 10-year average annual loss of -7.23% (-53% total loss), compared to a 13.24% average annual gain (+250% total gain) by its benchmark, the S&P 500. [7] By 2018, asset under management declined to USD 1 billion.[6][8]
  • he still has $1,000,000,000 ???

The only manger I know who was worse is Henry Van der Eb who ran the Mathers fund. He nailed Black Monday and then sat in cash forever after
  • "These actions violate existing law, bypass Congressional spending authority, shift the risk of corporate losses from private investors to the public ..."

I'm shocked!
  • edited June 2020
    sma3 said:

he still has $1,000,000,000 ???

The only manger I know who was worse is Henry Van der Eb who ran the Mathers fund. He nailed Black Monday and then sat in cash forever after

I nominate Charles Steadman for the dubious honor of being the worst fund manager.

"In the 30 years before Charles Steadman's death in 1997, the average mutual fund was up more than 20-fold. Three of the four Steadman funds were down; all four of his funds - including his lone 'winner' - landed among the 10 worst-performing funds over that three-decade period, according to Lipper Inc."

Link