Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wasatch closing three funds to third party financial intermediaries

Comments

• Thanks for this. I may buy a toe hold in small cap growth.
  • The funds will still be open via direct investments. So if one should later decide to start a position and hold them through a third party (e.g. a brokerage), one should be able to buy shares directly and then transfer the position.

I did this years ago, though I don't recall with which fund. I have also seen verbiage to the effect that a newly opened position cannot be transferred to an intermediary for six months. This Wasatch prospectus change doesn't impose any restrictions on transferring shares.

Though it is always a gamble as to whether the fund distributor will honor the terms in (or absent from) a prospectus.
  • @msf, thanks, you always provide practical, wise, and helpful info.

In my case, I'm trying to make all new investments in a solo 401K that has a different tax ID than my personal SS, so the process you describe might not work. They're no load / no fee at Schwab, where I have my solo 401K, so a $100 stake makes sense for me.
  • That's right. Transfers in kind only work with funds having the same registration.
  • Thanks for heads up @TheShadow. Looking on Morningstar it says that International opportunities is limited which typically means closed. Does anyone know if this is not the case? Its a top performing intl fund
  • On its web page (at Wasatch) the Availability line reads:
    Closed to most new investors through third party intermediaries

So it ought to be the same as these three other funds - available through direct purchase but not through third parties. Except that the restriction on WAIOX is already effective.

The summary prospectus reads (emphasis in original):
    To open a new account directly with Wasatch Funds or to purchase shares for an existing account, go online atwasatchglobal.com. For a new account, complete and electronically submit the online application.Accounts for third parties,trusts, corporations, partnerships and other entities may not be opened online and are not eligible for online transactions.