Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Larry Brilliant on How Well We Are Fighting Covid-19

Top epidemiologist who helped eradicate small pox talks about covid. Interesting stuff: https://wired.com/story/larry-brilliant-on-how-well-are-we-fighting-covid-19/

Comments

• But it seems that Covid-19 isn’t an equal opportunity infector—minorities have suffered more.

I don’t agree with that. It is an equal opportunity infector. It is not an equal opportunity killer. If you are old, you are going to have a reduced immune system. If you’re poor and you’re somebody who has hypertension and diabetes and is more obese, which is the African American community, you are in more danger.
    So he's saying that likelihood of death ("killer") but not of infection is higher for some communities than for others. Does he seriously believe that minorities have not been infected at a higher rate?

Sure, he goes on to say that people in certain situations have higher exposure and thus higher risk of infection, but he does not acknowledge the racial disparity of those exposures: "Or if you are living in a jail where you can’t social distance. I mean San Quentin has over a thousand cases right now."

Who does he think is being kept in prison? Lots of Michael Cohens? Heck, it's guys like that who get let out to keep them safe.

Not to mention the unequal opportunity of exposure and thus infection due to who works in which industries.

His science is fine. His demographics are not.
  • Yup for sure I'm going to trust scientific medical advice from a so-so tariff advisor over Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Will these losers ever give it up? Makes me wonder about how much he has invested in hydroxychloroquine.
  • Doctors can still prescribe the drug for covid-19 because it is approved for other illnesses. But Navarro said the FDA’s safety warning and withdrawal of the emergency authorization had effectively killed demand.
    What's the problem? Anyone who wants a test the drug can get the drug.

Though the more patients who take it, the more deaths there will be of people who took the drug (even if the drug were effective).