Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Battery Backup LED Light Bulbs

edited August 2020 in Off-Topic
Hi guys,

For those that have frequent power outages, as I do, a battery backup led light bulb might be of interest. I have a good number of them in use in addition to standby power generation at my home. Once charged, they will burn for about three to four hours.

Here is the link that tells more about the bulbs. About $10.00 to $12.00 each at Home Depot.

https://toolguyd.com/led-light-bulb-with-battery-backup/

Comments

• edited August 2020
    Old_Skeet,
    I need to disclose that I worked for your power provider for 35 years. I had nothing to do with retail distribution or tree trimming however. There were a few years where I helped coordinate storm response (but only during storms). When crews found a transformer on the ground they would call the hotline and I’d arrange for cleanup. We lived in 6 houses over the 35 yrs but never in the center city area you’ve referenced. However, I knew a guy that lived near the corner of Queens and Queens. And remember the sign that read East blvd West> South blvd North>.
  • edited August 2020
    Hi @Rbrt, I was an investor in Duke, CPL (Carolina Power & Light) and Piedmont Natural Gas (PNY) before they merged with Duke but no longer. When Duke pulled a fast one with the NC Utilities Commission with the merger between themselves and CPL with CP&L's Charles Johnson to become CEO of DUK after the merger. Well as it turns out he was CEO for about an hour after the merger and was voted out by the new formed board with Lynn Good being seated. With this, I voted with my feet and left selling all my Duke shares. It seems, if I remember correctly, Duke paid a big fine for this hoodwink on the Commission. I believe, Mr. Johnson now heads TVA. From my perspective, Duke is not the good corporate citizen that it once was because of this action and other practices which they have paid fines for error prone accounting submitted during rate case filings reguarding Catawba, McGuire & Oconee. In addition, they now want rate payers to pay for coal ash clean up due to their mishandeling of this toxic waste. These are only several reasons that I no longer own stocks but gain my equity exposure through mutual funds. I do not live far from where the two Queens intersect. My office was located on East Blvd in the Dilworth Area which is not far from the Queens, Queens, Kings & East Blvd. interescetion that you reference.

There are and have been a good number of present and past Duke employees that live or have lived in my heighborhood and some of them I went to high school with. Most of them did well for themselfs during their time with Duke. I'm sure you did as well. A former mayor of Charlotte (Pat McCrory) came from Duke and later went on to became Governor of NC. He now host a very popular talk radio show on WBT Radio which is one of the Country's oldest radio stations making it's first brodcast back in the early 1920's from my very own neighborhood now known as Plaza/Midwood. WBT Radio has night time listners form Maine to Florida and during the day their signal covers a good bit ot the two Carolinas. So, pull up a chair and tune your radio to 1110 on the AM dial you will be in for an old fashion radio airways treat. For those interested the link below gives more of the history about WBT Radio. https://www.ourstate.com/history-friend-dial/

History of Duke Energy ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Energy
  • edited August 2020
    Interesting discussion here and in the other thread. My first LED bulbs 8-10 years ago cost something like $25 apiece - very expensive when first came out. Used them for a hard to reach (ceiling) fixture in a new garage thinking they’d probably never need changing.

I have a Honda generator (gas powered) that’s 20 years old and runs like new because it gets run maybe 2-3 hours a year in event of power outage. Noisy SOB. Out in the country here no problem. Run it in an urban environment and likely get shot by an angry neighbor.

The worst I ever endured was while living in the northern Metro Detroit suburbs some time in the mid 90s. A winter ice storm (right after New Years as I recall) had our power out for 3 or 4 days. Nasty stuff.