Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bloody Weekend - Dozens Shot Across Chicago, NYC

Folks ... These are two cities are controled by the Dems. If they can run cities like these why would you think that they can govern over the Country?

Click on the link for the details. https://www.zerohedge.com/political/bloody-weekend-dozens-shot-across-chicago-nyc

Comments

• edited August 2020
    I am sure the mayor and governor are on top of the situation...
  • Gary1952 said:

Sounds like they're on the bottom of it.

• edited August 2020
    Those "failing" liberal-run cities. Without them America would also fail:
    It’s also interesting to note that roughly half of America’s GDP last year ($9.75 trillion) was produced in the country’s 22 largest metro areas: the 20 metros in the table above plus St. Louis and Portland (see second map above).....The top six largest US metro areas (NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, DC, and San Francisco) last year produced $5 trillion of economic output (GDP), and those six metro areas combined as a separate country would have been the third-largest national economy in the world, ahead of No. 4 Japan’s $4.8 trillion GDP in 2017.....Chicago’s economy is America’s third-largest metro economy and in 2017 (GDP of $680 billion) was almost the same size ($680 billion in GDP) as Switzerland’s GDP of $679 billion. It would have ranked as the 20th largest national economy in the world last year.
    https://fee.org/articles/many-us-metro-areas-have-greater-gdp-than-entire-developed-nations/
  • A failed city. When do the credit agencies step in for a massive downgrade?
    When do bond buyers stop buying or demand huge increase in rates?

This is a classic junk credit.
  • edited August 2020

Those "failing" liberal-run cities. Without them America would also fail:

Sure, big cities are where the brain power and money is concentrated. That's how it works but it could be better. Who wants to live or maintain a store downtown with so much crime and why suburbs are now is such high demand.
    But that's not all the high tech revolution and especially covid-19 proved that many high paying jobs can be far from the city. The company I used to work for eliminated at least half of their office space, when I used to work there I could do it from anywhere in the world. My son's company eliminated completely their office space, everybody works from home and home can be anywhere. My son-in-law and daughter left Silicon Valley and got their dream house for 10% of the price, and he still works there and making the same huge salary.

Things are changing now pretty fast.

But wait, the following is even more irritating. I have seen hundreds of thousands of Northerners moving to the south and now vote for Dems again, there were good reasons you came here so why do you want to make changes to imitate where you came from?

• edited August 2020
    @FD1000
    Who wants to live or maintain a store downtown with so much crime
    A lot of businesses apparently up until Covid made it more difficult to be in close quarters in any congested city:

https://chicagobusiness.com/commercial-real-estate/market-peak-what-market-peak

You say "Sure, big cities are where the brain power and money is concentrated." Yet you don't ask why they are where the brain power and money are concentrated. The brain power is concentrated in such cities because liberal politicians spent the tax dollars to create strong educational and cultural institutions, public transport, roads, and they welcomed immigrants hungry for success instead of spurned them. Many people leaving liberal cities like New York, San Francisco and LA prior to Covid did so because they could no longer afford the cost of living there as the cities became too successful economically and real estate prices are thus exorbitant. Dealing with those problems of income inequality in strong economically viable cities people like you call liberal failure. What would a red state agrarian America produce without its liberal cities--bibles and corn?
  • And where jobs are created in the last several weeks relatively? not in the high crime cities run by Dems and definitely not downtown Chicago, Portland and Seattle where they defunded the police. I "love" Libs, all my family are Libs and I tell them please stay in CA and NY, please don't come here.
  • edited August 2020
    @FD1000 Are you honestly so deluded as to think Seattle, the home of Amazon, Starbucks and Microsoft hasn't created any jobs locally or economic value both locally and nationally?

Where would your entire stock portfolio be without just those two tech companies this year or for that matter for the past decade?
  • Jobs created is reflected by decline in the number unemployed. To normalize comparisons, we look at changes in rates. It would hardly be fair to compare the absolute number of jobs created in a large metro area like Chicagoland with a "relatively" small area like the metro Miami area.

Given that the granularity of much data is monthly, we can look at what's happened over the latest two months available ("last several weeks"). For your viewing pleasure, the lines in the graph below are politically color-coded.

Unemployment in the Chicago area declined (improved) 9.8%, while unemployment around Miami, "relatively" budged, down 2.5%.

• Starchild said:

Gary1952 said:

Sounds like they're on the bottom of it.

My comment was sarcastic.

• FD1000 said:

And where jobs are created in the last several weeks relatively? not in the high crime cities run by Dems and definitely not downtown Chicago, Portland and Seattle where they defunded the police. I "love" Libs, all my family are Libs and I tell them please stay in CA and NY, please don't come here.

+1
  • Chicago, Portland and Seattle where they defunded the police

All I know is what I read in the "papers", like Fox News (headlines from August 18):

Chicago Mayor Lightfoot, DC Mayor Bowser, slammed for handling of protests, deliver message at DNC about policing
    Both mayors have refused calls to defund the police

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lightfoot-bowser-slammed-handling-protests-dnc-policing-message
  • FD1000 said:

And where jobs are created in the last several weeks relatively? not in the high crime cities run by Dems and definitely not downtown Chicago, Portland and Seattle where they defunded the police.

you better stick with bragging about your investing, not lie about things you don't understand which are easily checked
  • Here is more on citizens wanting to leave NYC.

The article is titled "Two In Five New Yorkers Want To Leave The City."

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/two-five-new-yorkers-want-leave-city

• edited September 2020
    @ Old_Skeet - Why are you linking a known pro-Russian source? I for one detest Russian influence in our domestic affairs. Certainly, you can find some support for your opinions from pro-America websites?

“ ... Zero Hedge (has) expanded into non-financial analysis, such as conspiracy theories and fringe rhetoric that has been associated with the US radical right and a pro-Russian bias. Zero Hedge's non-financial commentary has led to a number of Site bans by various global social media platforms, although its 2019 Facebook ban and 2020 Twitter ban were later reversed.”

Wikipedia
  • Hi @hank, I have followed Zero Hedge for many years. They cover stuff that our own news media outlets do not want the average citizen to read. Thus far, I have not found any untruths in what I have link in the Zero Hedge articles. I'm thinking they are as reliable as any news media outlet as they all want to spin to draw readers. Skeet
  • @Old_Skeet And here all this time we thought Hanoi Hannah was dead. But you've brought her back to life.
  • edited September 2020
    I am thinking Skeet not just is a troll but might be a JV-level Russian asset. Okay, maybe unwitting.

But anyone who writes with a straight face

>> our own news media outlets do not want the average citizen to read

I mean, there's a reason ZH has its scoops ...
  • pkrug today:

... there isn’t a wave of anarchy and violence other than that unleashed by Trump himself. But can voters be swayed by the president’s lurid fantasies?
    Actually, they might. For whatever reason, there’s a long history of disconnect between the realities of crime and public perceptions. As Pew has pointed out, between 1993 and 2018 violent crime in America plunged; murders in New York fell more than 80 percent. Yet over that period Americans consistently told pollsters that crime was rising.
  • edited September 2020
    I'll carry my comment a little further.

It seems, to me, the major news outlets are very quick to comment on negative news about Trump and slow (if at all) to comment on negative news about Democrats. I could continue but for the liberal reading this you'll continue to miss my point. So, I and others are left to get news on events that our own news media chooses not to cover from Zero Hedge. This is only one of the reasons that Zero Hedge has many readers coming from the investment community, myself now being one of them.
  • Old_Skeet said:

I'll carry my comment a little further.

It seems, to me, the major news outlets are very quick to comment on negative news about Trump and slow (if at all) to comment on negative news about Democrats. I could continue but for the liberal reading this you'll continue to miss my point. So, I and others are left to get news on events that our own news media chooses not to cover from Zero Hedge. This is only one of the reasons that Zero Hedge has many readers coming from the investment community.

Absolute truth. I respectfully suggest people spend an hour a day watching news shows they don't usually watch. I spend at least an hour a day watching MSNBC and CNN, and putting aside what I personally believe to be true the spin and coverage choices are alarming. MSNBC wholesale ignores the truth or the spin is so bad it ignores the real story...like ignoring the rioting completely for a time and then later introducing the subject by focusing on how Trump was impugning "peaceful protests" and even suggesting that the violence was being perpetrated by white supremacists. CNN is much better but they clearly introduce spin on straight news shows, like referring to a Trump "dog whistle." You can say what you will about FOX news but they pretty much cover what's going on in the world. I challenge anyone to find a significant news story that not's covered on FOX news, even when against Trump. I'm sure someone will link to some supposed media fact check site that says otherwise, but watch for yourself and decide.