Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your take on TRECX?

edited August 2020 in Fund Discussions
T Rowe Price Emerging Markets Corporate Bond (TRECX)

Just noticed this one in their stable. Bit of a mystery. While they seek “high current income”, the average maturity is in excess of 5 years - not exactly a “safe” or low volatility bond fund. I do like that Lipper has it ranked near the top of the stack and M* gives it 5 stars. I haven’t had time to read the prospectus, but my guess is they hedge quite a bit against currency flux with this one. Wonder how it compares to their PREMX (hedged) and PRELX unhedged EM bond funds. It’s currently in a funk, which appears to happen in roughly alternating 1-2 year periods.

Comments

• IIRC, PREMX invests in EMB issued in USD. TRECX may be EM corporate bonds issued in USD. So far, it has outpaced both PREMX and PRELX. Looks interesting so I'll buy a small position at Schwab where the fund minimum is $100.
  • edited August 2020
    Yeah - I’ve pondered taking a small spec on it. It was hot in 2019 so I’m guessing it won’t do much for a while yet just looking at its history on Yahoo’s great site. I’m in no hurry to add one more to the “fund collection”.

Minimums? If directly at TRP It’s still a low $1,000 for IRAs ($2500 regular accounts).
  • Unfortunately, I'm a piker, so I'll start with $500 at Schwab and see how that does.
  • Not a bad idea. I just get “confused” if I own over 8 or 10 funds. Fewer is better at my age.:)