Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hidden Gems in your Community

Okay, so I started an apolitical travel thread a couple of weeks ago that everyone seemed to like, so I'd like to start another. If someone was traveling to your town, what little known attraction would you recommend? Could be a restaurant, hike, golf course...anything at all. I'll go first:

In my adopted hometown of Fort Myers, FL, I would recommend taking a ferry from Captiva or Pine Island to Cayo Costa, an unspoiled barrier island, reachable only by boat. You can snorkel, fish, hike or bird watch. There are no concessions on the island, so you have to bring your own food and water. If you are the more adventurous type, you can camp overnight or stay in a VERY rustic cabin. We prefer the day trip from Pine Island with a stop at the tiny, artsy town of Matlacha for browsing the shops and galleries and having dinner at a waterfront restaurant.

Comments

• Been in Tempe, AZ just about four years now. And I'm still looking.

I'ld say the best thing for me so far has been the Arizona Fall League. But that isn't happening this year.
  • Okay, so I started an apolitical travel thread a couple of weeks ago that everyone seemed to like, so I'd like to start another. If someone was traveling to your town, what little known attraction would you recommend? Could be a restaurant, hike, golf course...anything at all. I'll go first:

In my adopted hometown of Fort Myers, FL, I would recommend taking a ferry from Captiva or Pine Island to Cayo Costa, an unspoiled barrier island, reachable only by boat. You can snorkel, fish, hike or bird watch. There are no concessions on the island, so you have to bring your own food and water. If you are the more adventurous type, you can camp overnight or stay in a VERY rustic cabin. We prefer the day trip from Pine Island with a stop at the tiny, artsy town of Matlacha for browsing the shops and galleries and having dinner at a waterfront restaurant.

Thanks for the tip. I have never been to that part of the country but it looks darn interesting. I will definitely make the trip.