Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RMD: Not Such A Bad Thing After All

TedTed
edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
FYI Its the required amount that counts. If you have multiple retirement accounts, you can choose which one you take the distribution.
Regards,
Ted
http://assetbuilder.com/scott_burns/required_minimum_distributions_not_such_a_bad_thing_after_all

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Ted, you just ruined my Sunday. For some inexplicable reason, I always thought the RMD was a flat 2.5% of your account each year. Now I see it is much more than that and hence more taxes to pay. At least I have 4 and a 1/2 more years to prepare for Armageddon. Here's a link to another nice table to compute the RMD.

http://apps.finra.org/Calcs/1/RMD
  • There are a variety of gotchas that won't affect most people, but one should nevertheless be aware of:

- You must calculate the RMD for each account separately (because a different table, i.e. divisor, may be used for different accounts, depending on whom the beneficiary is and the age of the beneficiary)

- A completely different calculation applies to inherited IRAs (unless you've adopted them as your own, as you are allowed to do when inheriting from a spouse)

- While you may take your IRA RMD from any or all of your traditional IRAs, and you may take your 401(k) RMD from any or all of your traditional 401(k)s, you may not take your traditional IRA RMD from your 401(k) or vice versa. These are two completely separate sets of accounts, even though they are both retirement accounts.

- If you are doing Roth conversions, you must take the RMD from your account each year prior to withdrawing additional money for the Roth conversion

Then there are the corner cases - the year you turn 70.5, the year you die. That's beyond the scope of this post:-)