Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Choosing a good International fund

DPNDPN
edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
I'm looking for an all around international fund for my Roth IRA. So many choices makes it difficult decision.

I am looking for a low ER, NTF, mostly equity, not too large, good all around fund with a good manager.

What are your top two choices?

Currently I hold FEDDX and MAINX.

I have been looking, FIGFX, Artisan funds, Oakmark, Harbor and others discussed here, but feel at some point I just have to choose.

DPN

Comments

• Look at FMI International(FMIJX) and Thomas White International(TWWDX). If you waive the "not to large" I like Oakmark(OAKIX)

Art

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2012/04/fmi-international-fmijx-may-2012/

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/twwdx/f?pgid=hetopquote&t=TWWDX
  • Dear DPN: I like DODFX, here are some other foreign (LCB)
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/foreign-large-blend
  • Take a look at FMIJX (large cap) and GPIOX (small/mid cap).

At the end of the year, I had trimmed my holding in ARTKX and FMIJX to buy more of ARTHX, ARTRX, GPGOX and GPIOX. Well, not a good timing on my behalf:( FMIJX has been the best performer so far this year. I have added some back to FMIJX via my 401k account.
  • A newer fund, the ER is not really LOW, but not exorbitant, either: SFGIX. Foster worked at Matthews before launching this fund of his own.
  • You could consider HLMNX, but I probably would not buy it before HIINX. I own both.
  • edited March 2013
    Here's a look at the lifetime stats of the funds recommended so far in this thread. I added a couple others, FPIVX and WGRNX. Note that every fund on list existing before 2008 drew down 50-60% during the financial crisis. So, just beware and allocate accordingly.

Of the younger ones, I like FMIJX and FPIVX for international and SFGIX for EM. David has profiled all three: Intriguing New Funds.
  • Thanks for the chart Charles. I will plan to add a few myself for comparison.

Allocating accordingly is the goal but allocation at all in the current market is what has me more concerned. I'm hoping to find a fund that I like and that has a lower min so I can build it up over time. I like FMI but the 2500 min is not where I want to be tomorrow.

thx agian
  • Charles,

You missed including ARTKX, a good and popular international fund.
  • Reply to @mrc70: Fixed! Thanks man. ARTKX is indeed one not to be missed...best of older bunch, looks like.
  • ARTKX may be closed to new investors.

Art
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @Charles:

ARTKX is a good fund but I did not recommend it because it is closed for new investors.

ARTGX is the global fund run by the same team that runs ARTKX. Can you include ARTGX in your graphics?

Can you also include FIGFX. Right now it is the best relatively new Intl. fund from Fidelity.

Also ARTRX used to be known as Artisan Growth Opportunities until May 2012. However, in Jan 2011 it started steps to become a global fund by changing its benchmark to global one. Prior to those changes the fund was a predominantly domestic one. So, prior data might not be applicable that much.

SFGIX expense ratio is now 1.4% (after voluntary ER reduction). GPGOX and GPIOX have ER of 1.75% (expense ratio capped)

And finally, why do you compare all these to S&P 500? Can't you choose MSCI All-World ex-USA or something like that.

(Note: updated several times)
  • Reply to @Investor: Done. You're right, as always. Database is a bit dated. Will probably recharge at end of month. I know, I know on reference...it's not pure. But I've been reluctant to start down that rabbit hole...I drive myself crazy enough=).
  • Reply to @Charles: Thank you so much for your patience with my requests.

Now, I noticed one thing that FIGFX is looking particularly bad in the bunch as its launch happened at a very unfortunate time (11/1/2007). So, life APR is particularly bad.

I guess we need to compare funds on the similar periods for this very reason because some of the funds were either launched way before and had accumulated a great deal of good fortune before 2008, and others started way after 2008 crisis so they avoided the great decline. It may still be not as good as many others but it looks way worse and it is indeed fairly decent fund.
  • Reply to @Art: It has been closed for a while. But the same management team also run Global Value fund.
  • Reply to @Investor:
    ARTKX is a good fund but I did not recommend it because it is closed for new investors.
    Just as a reminder, if you have $100K invested with Artisan (can be invested though the likes of Schwab), you can purchase any closed Artisan Fund.

Mona
  • Reply to @Mona: Thanks. Good to know.