Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund Share Inventory...Is Every Share Owned at All Times?

beebee
edited November 2020 in Fund Discussions
I read this quote and wondered if when a share of a stock, bond, etf or mutual fund is sold is there always a buyer on the other side.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.” – William Feather
I imagine not. Outstanding shares (inventory of unsold shares) must exist.

Also, is there an upper limit to shares of a particular security? Are there just so many shares of APPL, QQQ, or VWINX in the system?

Comments

• +1 I've wondered this myself, but was always afraid to ask any brokerage professionals about this , to avoid any condescending lectures !
  • Stock companies specify the number of shares they are authorized to issue. This can be increased by the shareholders. A company is not required to issue all shares authorized.

When shares are issued they are sold; for a public company this is generally done through public offerings. A company can buy back some of its shares. It then holds these shares, which are called treasury shares. This is not an inventory of unsold shares - the shares were issued, sold to buyers who subsequently sold those shares to the company acting as a buyer. They are no more unsold than shares that you bought and have not resold.

https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/the-difference-between-authorized-and-outstanding-shares.html

I'm not sure whether all ETFs have limits on authorized shares (it could depend on their legal structure, e.g. UIT or OEF), I don't know. But at least some ETFs have limits, because several years ago one of them forgot to increase its authorized amount and for a few days couldn't issue more shares. That resulted in a large tracking error.

OEFs simply create more shares willy-nilly as needed. CEFs operate like stock companies.
    The main difference between an open-end company and a closed-end company is how the shares are purchased and sold. An open-end company offer new shares to any investor who wants to invest. This is known as a continuous primary offering. Because the offering of new shares is continuous, the capitalization of the open-end fund is unlimited. Stated another way, an open-end fund may raise as much money as investors are willing to put in. An open-end fund must repurchase its own shares from investors who want to redeem them. A closed-end fund offers common shares to investors through an initial public offering (IPO) just like a stock. Its capitalization is limited to hte number of authorized shares that have been approved for sale. Shares of the closed-end fund will trade in the secondary market in investor-to-investor transactions on an exchange or in the over-the-counter market (OTC), just like common shares.
    https://securitiesce.com/series-6/understand-mutual-funds/