Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Embrace Disruption With ARK Next Generation Internet ETF

This article discusses ARKW specifically but I've used ARKK for some time now. The top 10 holdings are basically the same in both and I've yet to justify the thesis of holding all of their funds. There's also a possible kerfuffle brewing with new ownership of ARK investments so caution may be warranted.

ARK Next Generation Internet ETF

Comments

• @Mark. I like ARKK, also. After your previous mention of changes facing the firm, I read a couple of articles. Do you think new owners would adversely influence the investment strategy? The woman in charge of the funds, Cathie Wood, was quoted as objecting to a take-over by the firm that currently distributes the ARK ETFs. Quite frankly, I could not understand what she meant in the following: “We do not believe that equity ownership by a party tangential to our business is in the best interest of ARK’s stakeholders.” Call me old-fashioned, but I don't talk that way. I told my university president to please never refer to me as a stakeholder. As for "tangential," the word obscures the issue.

• edited December 2020
    @BenWP, I've NO idea of course, it's just a feeling but I think Cathie's issue may be that she wants a partner that thinks like an innovator, see's the future possibilities and not one who only is in it for how much money they'll be making. She also like the whole "open" feeling of things and maybe thinks this was underhanded. No clue.

A couple of articles hint at that. One is a Nov., 18th Barron's article saying that she might lose control of ARK. I was able to read it on Fidelity's site while getting quote info on ARKW. The other is this Institutional Investor article on her thoughts related to Tesla. It offers a lot more color on the individual. Sorry, that's all I've got.

• That Institutional Investor article is a great help, @Mark. From what I read there, a conventional asset manager owner might well be uncomfortable with Wood's open style of sharing research and her refusal to assign analysts to traditional niches. She says her people share stuff mainly on social media, particularly Twitter. [Not that there's anything wrong with that...] Stuffed shirts might wish for analysts who played their cards closer to the chest. Wood may represent a breath of fresh air in a field that prefers the equivalent of smoky back rooms.
  • hard to believe anyone would kill the goose that laid a $10 billion dollar golden egg