Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Technology Olympics - Reaching Quantum Supremacy

Separately China and Google have reached this computing milestone.
Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman was the first to suggest that the mind-bending properties of quantum mechanics could be harnessed to make a new kind of computer. Almost 40 years later and after a decade of significant progress -- and after a claim by Google that its computer had reached a milestone known as “quantum supremacy” -- it’s still easier to describe the approach’s potential importance than to describe how it works.

why-quantum-computers-will-be-super-awesome-someday-quicktake

Comments

• I was out and about today. And it is always hard not to note the amount of tattoos. Some of the art is truly impressive. On youthful skin.

I don't have any tattoos on my old skin. Too permanent. I'm waiting for for bio-nano-LED changeable skin art. And then I read Bee's link and thought it would play right in. What else are they going to do with this technology? ;-).
  • While the current vaccine race has many components over many years to achieve what is now in place; the processing speeds of computer systems to help determine outcomes in many areas provides great benefit now and into the future in our lives.

From an October, 2019 thread.
  • Chinese scientists claim to have built a quantum computer that is able to perform certain computations nearly 100 trillion times faster than the world’s most advanced supercomputer, representing the first milestone in the country’s efforts to develop the technology.
    Getting Faster
  • Still think quantum computing is in its infancy. Question is how small can it be incorporated into a CPU? Artificial intelligence used on self-driving cars are still having avoidable accidents. Fast and reliable eye tracking on dSLRs cameras are still being perfected. The only AI that is working is face and iris recognization on cell phones.