Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Story Behind the Market's Hottest Funds

I was able to read this at my brokerage (Fidelity). It's a WSJ article behind a paywall elsewhere which I can't access. For those who can

ARTICLE

Comments

• @Mark ; What is the paper date, please.
    Thanks , Derf
  • "The Story Behind the Market’s Hottest Funds"
    By Jason Zweig
    Jan. 15, 2021 10:00 am ET
  • The article highlights the thematic ETFs that ran the table last year, including those from the Ark shop. Zweig cautions that these funds are as risky as story stocks and cites research that showed that thematic funds underperformed conventional funds over time by about 0.5% per month.
  • Zweig cautions that these funds are as risky as story stocks and cites research that showed that thematic funds underperformed conventional funds over time by about 0.5% per month.
    As may be, but you have to admit that it'll take a good long time for the ARK funds to devolve to meet that 'standard'; unless there is a HUGE swoon for pretty much everything over a couple of years. Not discounting what you're saying, but they DO have a substantial lead at this point...
  • @racqueteer: I have some « play » money in AARK. While the fund may be risky, it’s not like some other whacky ideas I’ve chased in in the past. Anyone remember the FlavrSaver tomato or SureBeam (the ones who sold a produce radiation system to prolong shelf life)? Consumers turned out to be scared of FrankenFood, rightly so. The first company was bought by the evil Monsanto and the second crashed and burned.
  • @BenWP: I'm guessing you're meaning ARKK? ARKK has a little of everything, but is getting HUGE...

I personally like ARKW as a hold, and I'm in and out of ARKG; since the volatility there is just CRAZY; 4-5% in a day isn't uncommon!!! And that recent week's runup; what was that; like 20%? More? Man...

Say what you will, Catherine Wood has been on fire for a few years now, and the only regrets I've had came on SELLS! I know it has to end, maybe badly, but until then...
  • US is falling behind when it comes to Innovation:

south-korea-leads-world-in-innovation-u-s-drops-out-of-top-10
  • Bar-belling ARKK with Treasuries blew away SPY with less drawdown:
    the-best-defense-is-a-good-offense-lately