Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Portfolios-Top 3 holdings reviewed

Art
edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
I looked over the data and there were 15 responses with percentages of the top 3 funds. I tallied the totals, removed the highest %(Max a whopping 78%) and the lowest % and then added the remaining together and the average was 33.6% for the 3 top funds. That is higher than I would have guessed and shows conviction in our picks.

Manager tenure ranged from 1.4 years to 25 years with 6 funds less than 3 years old. Most funds have a M* analyst rating of Gold,silver or bronze.

The types and number of funds were:
Cash-1
Bank loan-1
Precious metals-1
Conservative allocation-4
EM-1
US Large blend-4
US Large value-1
US Large growth-1
US Mid value-1
Moderate allocation-8
Bonds-8
US Small value-1
World Allocation-4
World Stock-1
Pacific Asia-2

This was not scientific so there may be errors. So chill and draw your own conclusions.

Art

Comments

• I think you forgot to include the lowest. Lowest and average cannot be 33.6% unless all are the same.
  • Reply to @Investor:

I edited my response. Better?

Art
  • Thanks for the posts Art. I thought it was interesting to see.
  • Thanks for all the work
  • Reply to @Art: Thanks. Now much better.
  • edited March 2013
    I am not sure that it shows much of conviction in our picks. The favorites are decisively undecided:

Conservative allocation-4
    US Large blend-4
    Moderate allocation-8
    Bonds-8
    World Allocation-4

So most of us decided either to invest in bonds or to let managers decide.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @andrei: Just my take here. 34% in just three. This reflects conviction. PRFRX is relatively new. But, I researched the characteristics and risk profile of floating rate funds extensively before buying. With Price for 20 years. Fifteen years ago, fixed income funds was one of their weaker areas, but over the last 10 they've really turned it around. I have confidence their fixed income funds will continue to be well run and offer competitive (though not market beating) returns.

As for DODBX and OAKBX - owned both for about 10 years. Good solid funds from reputable cost-competitive companies. They complement each other in that DODBX does better in hot markets and OAKBX tends to outperform during poor markets. All three funds are part of my buy-and-hold allocation. OAKBX and DODBX are also stalwarts in my Roth. This is not by accident.